View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
 Post subject: Getting Ready.....
PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2004 10:06 am 
My parts are on the way with a scheduled delivery of this monday.

I would like to know what the general opinion is about using KnoppMyth as opposed to other operating system and a classic install of MythTV.
What are the pros and cons?

Regardless of what I end up using permantely, my first install will be using the KnoppMyth auto install using Chaintech MB that has the NV chip and TV out, an AMD xp 2200, 2 x hauppage 401s,and 512 mem.

I have been a Slackware user a few years. It has been my favorite Distro, followed by Peanut.

ALL hints, tips, and suggesstions gladly accepted......

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2004 11:23 am 
Hint:This doesn't belong in installation.

When the source is open, the possibilities are endless!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2004 11:46 am 
Well the big pro is that with most standard hardware the knoppmyth install is much easier than trying to get it running with another linux version + mythtv.

The con would be that knoppmyth is developed as a settopbox, and as such has only the applications needed to get mythtv working in that capacity, and doesn't go out of it's way to allow things like dual boot. For me this is exactly what I want. a very stripped down OS for a single purpose, but some want more, and they may be better off going with a more traditional linux install and tacking mythtv on top.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2004 11:44 am 
Hi,

Xsecrets wrote:
...The con would be that knoppmyth is developed as a settopbox, and as such has only the applications needed to get mythtv working in that capacity, and doesn't go out of it's way to allow things like dual boot. ....

I am glad I read this. I was thinking of installing on another partition in a machine currently dual booting with XP and SuSE 9.1. Looks like I can't do that with KnoppMyth.

(that, right after I figured out booting KnoppMyth off the CD in "frontend" mode still needs a backend with a hdd install ... ohh, well ... )

gard

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2004 12:26 pm 
cesman wrote:
Hint:This doesn't belong in installation.

Hey... Is there a way to put something on the posting page for a particular forum? That way this one could say something like:
IF YOUR POST IS NOT ABOUT A PROBLEM OR QUESTION SPECIFIC TO THE KNOPPMYTH INSTALLATION PROCESS, IT DOESN'T BELONG HERE!