View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2004 9:21 am 
Can anyone tell me the best way to run linux and samba on very old hardware? I have a Pentium 120 w/ 32 megs of ram that I want to use as a file server. Just planning on adding my IDE controller card and two hd's, getting the shares set up, then tucking it away in a closet in the basement. I'm new to linux, but I'd assume that if I download a normal current distro and try installing it, the old harware won't be able to get it running...so what should I do?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2004 11:43 am 
Since you have a pentium processor, that does not affect the use of a current kernel.

What will have an affect is the fact you are using only 32 meg of memory. If you can bump that up to 128, you will be a lot happier.

Mandrake Linux will run as a text mode only server if you turn off all of the workstation instalation options, turn of the gui load, and step into the server options and only install samba. You may also wish to install webmin to administer the server remotely, and I would recomend installing sshd so you can get into the box without having a monitor and keyboard on it.

My own recomendation is to use Mandrake 9.2.1, as I have not had good luck with 10. Others may recomend otherwise.

Most of the alternatives will want to set up a gui, which I assure you that you do not want for this system. Debian or Gentoo may be workable alternatives, though some people do not want to work at the level their tools provide. One of the BSD alternatives fits that roll as well.

If you choose to go with Fedora, RedHat, or SUSE, the option may be there to not install X, but I don't know.

If you would like to use all of the hard drive space for shares, and your system will boot from a CD, you may be able to build a Morphix CD to accomplish your goals.

There are a couple of other cd based distributions that may work as well, though most of those today are based around users trying out the gui, rather than server functionality. You might want to paruse http://www.distrowatch.com/ to see if there is something that would work for you. You will probably find a few floppy based distributions that do what you seek as well.

Good luck,

-Rusty

- 200 G Segate Baracuda /myth/tv
- 3 Haupauge! WinTV PVR250s
- 19" Daewoo Monitor (1280x1024 ni)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2004 9:43 pm 
debain should work very well for this. the install is a bit of a pain, but it is very easy to get a solid light install with debian. I have a server with apache mysql php webin and a few other things no X and it only takes up about 500mb for everything. If all you want is samba you should easily be able to get smaller than this. you just do a base install and only install samba in addition to it.