View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 11:20 pm 
OK I got this cavalry esata/usb drive. I hook it up USB and I can mount it, but it doesn't show up with esata. I can see the drive in bios (sata2) and all appears fine. My main drive is sata1, no problems.

Code:
mount -t ntfs /dev/sdb1 /esata
mount: special device /dev/sdb1 does not exist

I try the above with any combination and get the same.

I've tried booting the gparted disk and it doesn't find sata2 either, says something about it taking a long time to find.

I know I can't write to a ntfs drive, found this out with a search and usb connection. But was hoping to create a partition for MythVideo as I have collected a bunch of HD movies I'd like to keep on this esata drive.

What logs should I be looking in for a mention of the sata2 drive? Is there something dumb I'm missing?

TIA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 5:47 am 
Hi,

I haven't gone down this path yet however will be next week using an ebook drive so am interested in the results. The only thing I saw different was the drive connector..

Did you make an entry in the /etc/fstab for it? Maybe something similar to what I use for my usb stick. It should show in the dmesg what the system sees it as, try dmsg|less for messages..

This is my fstab entry, for a starting point.
/dev/sda1 /stick vfat defaults,user,noauto,showexec,umask=022 0 0

Also I would think it would require a /dev/descriptor for the drive? The ntfs part is not an issue, just reformat it.

Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 7:38 pm 
Using the label option for mounting SATA/SCSI drives is HIGHLY recommended. This is _REALLY_ easy to do, and avoids any unpleasant device ID reassignments these are prone too. For example you really don't want the wrong "disk" to end up mounted in the wrong place if you boot with a thumb drive plugged in. What? You didn't want the thumbdrive to be /dev/sda1 and get mounted on /myth instead of the eSATA drive? Whoopsie! :oops:

1) When you create the partition give it a label matching the intended mount point. For example my SATA backup drive has one partition labeled "backup".

2) When you add the entry in /etc/fstab do something like this specifying the label rather than a specific partition:
Code:
LABEL=backup  /backup  ext3  defaults  0  0

That's all there is too it. You are now immune to having another "scsi" drive detected in an unexpected order.