View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 5:15 am 
I want to use telnet to control MythTV. However when I type telnet in a shell I get 'command not found'

what do I have to do to enable telnet on Knoppmyth? When searching this forum all answers have led to 'use ssh'. I am already using scp and ssh on the box, but to control myth I want to use the telnet remote control feature.

Thanks in advance

Chris

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 5:38 am 
chrismcnally wrote:
I want to use telnet to control MythTV. However when I type telnet in a shell I get 'command not found'

what do I have to do to enable telnet on Knoppmyth? When searching this forum all answers have led to 'use ssh'. I am already using scp and ssh on the box, but to control myth I want to use the telnet remote control feature.
What is the "telnet remote control feature"? Anything you could do in a telnet session you can do via SSH, with added security.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 8:47 am 
putty is your friend

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 8:58 am 
Mythtv allows you to control the frontend through a TCPIP socket, so you can open a telnet window to the mythfrontend box, on another computer such as your laptop or pda, and send commands to:

skip ahead 5 minutes
change channels
set a save point
exit myth front end
etc

this is often easier than using a remote control if you are not near the box or near the remote. I use ssh to connect to the Knoppmyth box, but i need to control the mythfrontend through this shell, and Telnet does not seem to be installed.

Putty is not my friend since I do not use Windows, which is also not my friend! but SSH is up and running, I just don't think I can use SSH to control Myth in this way.

info on the myth docs

http://www.mythtv.org/docs/mythtv-HOWTO-11.html#ss11.6

Please let me know how I can install or activate Telnet on Knoppmyth. I promise to write a wiki entry for it when it's done.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 9:59 am 
chrismcnally wrote:
Mythtv allows you to control the frontend through a TCPIP socket, so you can open a telnet window to the mythfrontend box, on another computer such as your laptop or pda, and send commands to:

skip ahead 5 minutes
change channels
set a save point
exit myth front end
etc
Ahh, I see now.

chrismcnally wrote:
Please let me know how I can install or activate Telnet on Knoppmyth. I promise to write a wiki entry for it when it's done.
Which version of KnoppMyth are you using?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 10:34 am 
you must be telnet'ing to a mythtv process and not to telnetd. The frontend process is listening on a particular port.

You are not telnetting into a shell, you are using a telnet client to open a session to the myth process.

Seems the port is configurable

http://www.mythtv.org/docs/mythtv-HOWTO-11.html#ss11.6

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 10:46 am 
khrusher wrote:

you must be telnet'ing to a mythtv process and not to telnetd. The frontend process is listening on a particular port.

Of course! you are correct. Thanks for that answer. So the telnet server is not an issue, I knew that I would have to configure it in the myth setup. However I still have the issue that the telnet client does not exist on the knoppmyth box.

I am using SSH to log into the Knoppmyth box from a distance. When I am in the shell, I type 'telnet' and I get 'command not found'. Somehow there is no telnet client on Knoppmyth. It does not seem that apt-get install telnet works. I guess I can find a telnet to install from source. I just thought someone might know which package is missing.

Thanks for your help, khrusher and everyone.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 11:07 am 
instead of ssh'in into the box and then issuing telnet, why not telnet to your frontend box at the configured control port 'from a distance'

you dont need to be on the box to telnet to one of its ports.

Code:
telnet frontend_ip_address port_of_control_socket

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 6:31 pm 
I think there's a simple "telnet" client library in both the Python samples and Perl stuff already installed on the system...

/usr/lib/python2.4/telnetlib.py
/usr/share/perl5/URI/telnet.pm

I'd probably write a little Python program to do the actual controlling myself...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 8:32 pm 
tjc wrote:
I think there's a simple "telnet" client library in both the Python samples and Perl stuff already installed on the system...

/usr/lib/python2.4/telnetlib.py
/usr/share/perl5/URI/telnet.pm

I'd probably write a little Python program to do the actual controlling myself...

tjc, that is exactly what I am going to do! As soon as I learn Python. At this time I just want to do a couple of things on my sister's knoppmythbox, and I am in a different city. I think those simple telnet clients will be just fine for my task. Thank-you for pointing them out.

khrusher, I could telnet from another box, but I did not want to open the port. However, now that you mention it, I wonder if her DD-WRT has a telnet client or room to install one. I could do that too, Telnet from the router to the mythbox after using ssh to connect to her router.

Thanks everyone for the help and suggestions.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 1:34 am 
apt-get install inetutils-telnet ?

For scripting, you might consider expect (apt-get install expect). It is good for things like automated control of command line interfaces.