View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Go to page Previous  1, 2

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 7:21 am 
Cool. Glad to be of help. (It's taken me long enough to learn enough to be...) Check the wiki - you can add some of those those optimisations to your DVD drive and any other hard drives in your machine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 8:44 am 
NOooo, two weeks of perfection then *wham* I got a lockup last night while watching a recording. :(

KM: R5.5
CPU: Athlon 3800+
Vid: nvidia 7300GT
Snd: Chaintech av-710
Tuner: PVR150
HD: 1000gb sata + 750gb sata + 500gb usb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 9:08 am 
Gibble wrote:
NOooo, two weeks of perfection then *wham* I got a lockup last night while watching a recording. :(

I didn't post, but I've been having random lock-ups myself.

I'm pretty sure mine is hardware related, and I've been working on figuring out a better long term solution, checking what hardware I have available, selling off some items that are not usable (even though I wanted to) such as a Dell server that only has PCI-X (not PCI-e which many get confused).

Amos

Post subject: SYSTEM HANGS
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 2:00 pm 
I too have been experiencing problems with R5F1 and hung mythbox. My system hangs often mid morning. I have one or two recordings, no watching recordings; just the myth menu. I did recently add a 120mm fan and that dropped my MB and CPU temp by 8 degrees. RRD does show a spike in disk IO just before crash. I have COMMFLAG, transcode restricted from 1-5am.

R5C was my best experience with stability. I really like the R5F1, but I am concerned about down-time. Could new features be causing this problem? ie Power management.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 2:17 pm 
I'm not sure what could be causing these issues, but I will state that over the weekend I installed a new system using F1 and the backend has been running rock solid since.

If you look at some of my original posts you will see that the hardware I had been using had some issues to begin with, and really was just what I had on hand at that point to "play" with KM. It just worked so well for so long that I just kept it as my only system.

Oh well, I've now moved onto another system, that as stated is more stable, however I need to locate some RAM for it (unfortunately, it is RDRAM, which is becoming hard to find).

Side note, since I installed this system in my basement, I just left it there and pieced together an 800mhz system to put in the entertainment center to use as a frontend. So far so good, though I did run into some small issues when setting up the fe/be combo where I lost my upcoming recordings for about 2 hours till I resolved it.

Now I need to find a slimline system that will fit into the entertainment center better to use as a full time Frontend, may even make sure it can play DVD's and replace both my vcr and dvd player with one system.

All that to say, moving to stable hardware has "resolved" my lock up issues, and I'm entirely blaming that old hardware. (anyone looking for an athlon xp 2100(I think 1.6Ghz) that doesn't like to boot all the time??)

Amos

Post subject: Re: SYSTEM HANGS
PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 12:26 am 
myth19kirt wrote:
I too have been experiencing problems with R5F1 and hung mythbox. My system hangs often mid morning. I have one or two recordings, no watching recordings; just the myth menu. I did recently add a 120mm fan and that dropped my MB and CPU temp by 8 degrees. RRD does show a spike in disk IO just before crash. I have COMMFLAG, transcode restricted from 1-5am.

R5C was my best experience with stability. I really like the R5F1, but I am concerned about down-time. Could new features be causing this problem? ie Power management.
I get an IO spike as well right before crashes.

Post subject: Re: SYSTEM HANGS
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 7:21 pm 
I had alot of random lockups on Knoppmyth and mythdora.

I fixed the problem by adding append="noapic" to my lilo.conf file. Here is a sample of my lilo.conf (dont forget to run lilo after editing the file)

# Boot up Linux by default.
#
default=Linux

image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.18-chw-13
label=Linux
initrd=/boot/initrd.gz
read-only
append="noapic"
# restricted
# alias=1
read-only
optional
# restricted

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 11:47 am 
I had many problems with R5E0 and more so R5F1 in that my mythbox was frozen at random times. I did fix that but then it would be powered off as if shutdown nicely. Maybe "suspend to disk" was the spike in disk i/o and the freeze-ups and powered off nicely was a problem with my BIOS or chipset.

When I found the mythbox in the powered off nicely state, the last thing on the logs was FINISHED RECORDING.

I have not had any problems since R5F21. In the changelog it mentioned removal of power management.

Last edited by myth19kirt on Thu Oct 04, 2007 12:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 12:14 pm 
Hmm, that could be it...the lockups seemed to coincide with spikes in disk activity...but they've been way less frequent. The only thing i get now, is the odd second or two pause, but I think it's timed with new recordings starting.

Go to page Previous  1, 2