View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Go to page Previous  1, 2

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
 Post subject: destination drive
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 4:00 pm 
msfox99 wrote:
Does the destination drive need to be unmounted?

In practice, it doesn't matter if you know whether the drive is getting mounted or not.
gparted does the process work for you. All you have to do is click the source partitions and destination partitions and then click go. That's all you need to know.

KnoppMyth R5.5, Asus A8N-VM CSM (nvidia 6150 onboard video), AMD Athlon 64 dual-core 4200+, two 1GB sticks DDR 400, HD-3000 HDTV card, PVR-150 card, Iguanaworks RS-232 IR receiver/transmitter, Pioneer DVR-110 DVD burner

Last edited by neutron68 on Sun Oct 07, 2007 5:59 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 6:40 pm 
My recollection is vague but memory says that for a raw device level copy like dd you _don't_ want it mounted. As a matter of fact my inclination would be to make sure that neither FS was mounted (you really don't want to be doing raw operations on an active FS) say like running from a CD in rescue mode... Check the dd man page to be sure.

Post subject: dd - lilo screwed up?
PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 12:00 pm 
When I've cloned Knoppmyth boot drives using Ghost 2003 or Acronis True Image, lilo is always screwed up on the destination drive and has to be reset using a Linux boot disk and a chroot command.
Does lilo get screwed up if you use dd to copy a hard drive?

KnoppMyth R5.5, Asus A8N-VM CSM (nvidia 6150 onboard video), AMD Athlon 64 dual-core 4200+, two 1GB sticks DDR 400, HD-3000 HDTV card, PVR-150 card, Iguanaworks RS-232 IR receiver/transmitter, Pioneer DVR-110 DVD burner

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 7:32 am 
If you are using Ghost 2003 from the command line you need to start it with the -ir switch (-imageraw)
Code:
ghost -ir
This does a sector by sector copy and lilo will be fine. Caveat: The drives need to be identical in size and, I believe, geometry. It takes about 2.5 hours to do a full 300 Gb drive on my machine. I have also used dd with block size = 2048K. (booted from CD) It takes the same amount of time and does not screw up lilo either.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 4:44 am 
tjc wrote:
My recollection is vague but memory says that for a raw device level copy like dd you _don't_ want it mounted. As a matter of fact my inclination would be to make sure that neither FS was mounted...

I did this recently when migrating my /myth/videos partition to a different drive, I used dd to copy /dev/hdb1 to /dev/sdb1 while hdb1 was mounted. The myth box was not recording, and there should have been no other activity in the /myth/videos directory. The result: dd did no damage to the xfs file system on hdb1, (it's just reading after all,) but when I went to mount sdb1, the cloned partition had several journal errors that I attribute to the source being mounted for the copy. xfs corrected itself, but I take this as concrete proof that tjc is right -- Source and destination should be unmounted for the clone process. Running from a live CD is the best and easiest way to ensure this.

BTW, My Myth connects to a TV via SVideo using an nVidia TV out -- no "proper" monitor. Booting the rescuecd to the commandline is OK, but X blows chunks. Anyone know any boot params, or other live CD distros that include gparted and are TV friendly? dd gets the job done; but gparted is way cooler, and gives better progress.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 7:15 am 
I use G4L (Ghost 4) Linux when I wish to clone a drive. Works like a charm every time. In fact, when one of my LVM drives was failing, I used G4L to clone it to an identical drive, swapped the drives, and was back in business.

Hats off to the author! :D

http://sourceforge.net/projects/g4l

-sTv

Drives: 500Gb IDE; IDE DVD-RW
Mobo: eMachines
Tuners (Analog): PVR-250
Tuners (Digital): DCT-6200 Motorola Cable Box, HDHomeRun (OTA + cable)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 8:05 am 
Does G4L let you clone from a smaller drive to a larger drive and increase your partition size as well? Or do you wind up with the same partition size as you had on the original drive?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 5:36 pm 
jzigmyth wrote:
Does G4L let you clone from a smaller drive to a larger drive and increase your partition size as well? Or do you wind up with the same partition size as you had on the original drive?

I looked at G4L and abandoned it because it could NOT resize partitions as it copied from a smaller drive to a larger drive.

I found that gparted CAN do a partition copy and resize at the same time, if you are moving from a smaller to a bigger drive. Note that you select each source and destination partition one at a time, rather than specify an entire disk clone. When you are done selecting the source and destination partitions, you click the APPLY button and the copy/resize takes place.

Go to page Previous  1, 2