View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Go to page Previous  1, 2

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 9:15 pm 
mjl wrote:
Also, why not make the webserver use https as default? The user could always make it less secure but that would be their responsibility.

It requires generation of a non-generic certificate, which then needs to be signed. If it's self-signed, browsing to it pops up a security warning message.

This would do more harm than good for an average user (they may well panic), and would be a bit of work for a developer to make simple and avoid alarming messages - You are welcome to take it on, of course Mike :-).

If a user is competent enough to enable the routing, they'll most likely be able to generate the certificate and update apache2.conf.

Regards

Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 9:26 pm 
Hi,

I can only wish I had that skill level :)

Thanks for the feed back.

Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 8:30 am 
Ugh. I wish I had some of whatever that guy was smoking. Mythdora is an utter turd. A monstrous, 1.6GB turd.

I just tried setting it up, since I've been without TV for almost a week since I blew up my setup trying to apply -fixes and we don't have an ISO yet. The graphical install doesn't work on my setup, I just get a blank screen. Dunno if its my video card (Geforce 5200 FX) or the fact that I'm on a TV. So I install in text mode, and after the OS install section, the bloody system boots to a login prompt and stops, when it's supposed tobe finishing the MythTV configuration.

KM might have it's rough edges, but it's a far better system... now if only they'd give us our new isos. *whimper*

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 10:36 am 
What if we came up with a list of criteria by which a MythTV distribution could be judged? It seems that a lot of people have criticized the author for factual errors, and such a list wouldn't address that, but there are aspects to a MythTV distro that often get overlooked in reviews. For example, I know Cecil works hard to hand-pick the right kernel version, patches, driver versions, and software versions, and make it all work together. He does this to support the most hardware possible without causing regressions. Can the same be said of a distro based on Fedora or Ubuntu? I don't know because I haven't checked :)

Here's what I came up with so far, and some are from the article. These are in no particular order or significance:

* community support
* need for documentation to install/configure
* look and feel
* hardware compatibility
* automation
* upgrade path
* support of additional software
* additional non-MythTV software included by default
* default theme
* total time before MythTV is running
* support of adding new hardware after the first install
* pre-configurations for things like MythStream, MythWeb, etc.

What do you think?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 10:47 am 
imo the 'look and feel' of an installer is = to the look and feel of dvd menus. I don't care about their 'look' as I use them once to get where I really want to go. (Thus I rip vobs.) Form << Function in this case

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 11:05 am 
Site Admin
Human, good list... But let us kill this. We've work to do on the last R5 and we need to get R6 into gear. We all work hard to make KnoppMyth what is. I've had enough of this distraction. Let us make a great last R5 and blow them away with R6.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 6:53 am 
Hear, hear!

Go to page Previous  1, 2