View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
 Post subject: Multiple monitors
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 4:29 am 
Hi Guys

Just a quickie !!!

Would it be possible to run more than one monitor with different instances of myth running off the same PC ??? I am guessing it would need more than one vga adaptor, ie. onboard, and another pci card ???

I have seen mention of twinview/twinhead, but I presume that is in a tv/monitor situation. I was thinking of monitor/monitor situations.....

Thanks

Matt

AMD Sempron 2400+ on Via Motherboard,
512MB Ram, 160GB IDE HDD,
Nvidia Geforce FX5500 128MB TV-Out,
2 x Twinhan DVB-T BT878 (Freeview UK)
KnoppMYTH R5F27

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 7:10 am 
Here is something I bookmarked a while back. I've never tried it with KnoppMyth, but I don't see why it wouldn't work now that it runs xorg. You may have trouble with sound though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 8:24 am 
Gnarl,

that looks great, and it does mention having per screen audio usb devices, so it might be possible. But I am trying to think how myth
would handle this, with regards to using/allocating different tuners etc..., remembering that the pc still only has one ip address....

Any contributions anyone ???? Cesman/Dale ????

AMD Sempron 2400+ on Via Motherboard,
512MB Ram, 160GB IDE HDD,
Nvidia Geforce FX5500 128MB TV-Out,
2 x Twinhan DVB-T BT878 (Freeview UK)
KnoppMYTH R5F27

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 8:37 am 
You would only be running one backend so there shouldn't be any conflicts with tuners. My guess is that it would be just like running 2 frontends, but they're both on one machine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 1:13 pm 
Gnarl wrote:
You would only be running one backend so there shouldn't be any conflicts with tuners. My guess is that it would be just like running 2 frontends, but they're both on one machine.

Before losing gdm a couple upgrades ago, I had VNCServer configured to allow multiple logins, you would basically login to display :50 (Not sure why 50 was the default, but I didn't care) I was successful in running a second front end on the same box without interfering with the primary front end on :0.

I wouldn't recommend doing it with VNC, but my point is you CAN run two front ends on the same box. I have no idea about sound though, VNC didn't (still doesn't?) support audio.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 5:14 pm 
You might want to also investigate remote controls. You might end up with a remote sending keypresses to both frontends. I know this is what happens in the default configuration if a second frontend is running on an xserver on another machine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 2:02 pm 
babblefish wrote:
You might want to also investigate remote controls. You might end up with a remote sending keypresses to both frontends. I know this is what happens in the default configuration if a second frontend is running on an xserver on another machine.

I think this is solvable. The lircrc file can be made remote-specific. I think what you'd have to do is run each display as a different user; then in each user's ~/.mythtv/lircrc file configure it to only accept commands from one of the remotes.

This comes down to the physical space. Are the two displays being run through a wall, or are they in the same room. Why you'd want two displays in the same room, I can't figure. (of course, "Because I can" may be reason enough) If the receivers are in the same room it's tricker, because you can't give each front end it's on receiver.

If you had a remote with enough buttons you could conceiveably configure each front end to respond to different signals from the same remote. This would likely require a custom programmed remote -- if this is what you want to do google on "JP-1" and "Robman" you can figure on about $50-75 for a remote AND programming cable and a pile of free programming software. What you'd need to is come up with 2 custom devices that use the same protocol as your remote receiver. Each "device" sends commands to one of the front ends.