View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
 Post subject: No system sound
PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 1:01 am 
I recently upgraded to the latest knoppmyth, and generally things work fine. I can hear sound when wathing live TV or recordings. I can't hear sound when trying to listen to a shoutcast stream, or when using any other external application like xine or VLC.

I did a alsaconf and check my alsamixer and all seems good there. Any ideas why I only get sound when watching TV?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 9:40 am 
I also had the same problem after upgrading to R5F27, TV and recording were fine, no sound elsewhere.

My solution seems a bit like magic, but it worked for me. Since you mentioned you checked your alsamixer, I won't give excessive details.

First, I did an alsaconf and then alsamixer. While in alsamixer I noticed that some of my sound devices had been muted for unknown reasons. Double chech your alsamixer for MM vs 00. After I fixed that, I then did:
Code:
/usr/sbin/alsactl store

to ensure my changes were stored (as root of course).

This made my videos work , but my mythgames still did not get sound, purely on a guess I changed the "Pass Through output device" setting in my Utilities and Setting -> Setup -> General from ALSA: iec958:{AE50 0x02} back to "Default". Now my games worked and TV did not. Switching back to ALSA: iec958:{AE50 0x02} then everything else came back to life and mythgames continued to work.

I'm no expert, so hopefully you can find something usefull here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 10:49 pm 
Nope, that didn't work for me. Very frustrating! This all worked fine previously.

I even tried setting the audio device to ALSA:hw:0,0 (which is my analog audio device) and again, myth tv works great, but Xine, VLC, and streaming radio have no sound!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 1:50 am 
Update: On a whim I changed the audio setting in Xine from auto to alsa,.. no good. Changed to oss and it works!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 9:34 pm 
Hello,

I recently upgraded to R5F27, and at the same time, I added a Chaintech sound card to my system so I could have digital audio.

I can get digital audio via the Internal player, but I like to use Xine for some video files. Unfortunately, as my system currently stands, I get no audio through Xine.

I've tried following various tips and tricks, but it seems like there's a lot of outdated information out there.

Question for you, ErikU - how do you enable OSS in Xine?

Also, I think I have xine set to a rather low "user experience" level. Is there an easy way to change that config?

Thanks!