View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 11:07 pm 
Hi,
I just set up my MythBox to wake up to record, using ACPI and MythWelcome, and then shut back down. Now, I'd like to be able to access it from work (in case I want to manage my scheduled recordings!), which means I need to be able to remotely reboot it. It is not hooked up to ethernet. It is wireless. I searched for quite some time for wireless wol but couldn't find anything satisfactory! Is it even possible to achieve???? Does the wireless card have to have this ability? I know my BIOS can have WOL enabled and i believe my Linksys router has something for that too.... And so what do I do??
Thanks!
FRA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 5:07 am 
Technically possible, but you will either need a wireless card that stays active when the PC is off (ex. http://www.proxim.com/products/wifi/client/802.11b_pci/index.html or a separate access point next to the PC that is always on and normal RJ45 connection between the PC and the access point.

Alternatively, if you know when you plan to do remote scheduling, you can put a daily wakeup into mythwelcome. I have mine set up to be awake between 9am and 10am every day.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 11:19 am 
alien wrote:
Alternatively, if you know when you plan to do remote scheduling, you can put a daily wakeup into mythwelcome. I have mine set up to be awake between 9am and 10am every day.

gotcha. i don't think my wireless card stays active.. and i decided i don't really need to worry about remote scheduling for now. so far i've never recorded anything that aired before 6pm! and either me or my wife are home by 4pm. so if i suddenly need to schedule something from work, i can either ask my wife to do it or call home and ask her to turn the thing on :)

i also thought of making it run during a certain time, which is now my plan A if i discover i do need to do remote scheduling on a regular basis. plan B being the access point (a wireless router bridged with my other router) and the regular wol.

thanks, alien! the mythbox is so close to being perfect (for my personal needs)!! i'll soon post the full setup on the wiki :)