View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
 Post subject: Dual boot made easy?
PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 1:20 pm 
I've got Windows running well. I tried SUSE and Gentoo, but returned to Windows for games.

I'd like to simplify the KM install as much as possible without re-installing Windows. I am a linux noob and would like to skip the code editing (i.e. changing hda to hdb)

The way I understand, KM will auto install into hda.
Will this configuration work:

IDE: |-----------------------|------|
MotherBoard............WinXP......KnoppMyth

I'm worried that KM will boot every time, or WinXP will not boot.
------------------
My other option is to move the IDE cable before each boot. I'm not excited about that choice, though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 6:23 pm 
Hi,
No hardware info, at least drive size would help. KM works fine where ever you put it's hat but it does need some wiggle room to play. M$ needs to be at the bottom of the pile or it seems to quit.

Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 11:21 pm 
Drive Size?
Win: 111 GB
Linux: 120 GB
Both are old style (ATA? Definitely not SATA or RAID)

By "bottom of the pile" do you mean a specific IDE connector?

I think Linux identifies the two connections as hda and hdb, where A is the end connector and B is the middle one... but like I said, noob, so not really sure.

Would "bottom of the pile" be hda?
Thank you

(Just FYI: I tested Linux by temporarily moving the IDE cable between the drives. I found out that my tuner card is not supported under Linux, so I guess no DVR for me... yet.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 4:36 am 
Hi.

What kind of tuner card?

Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 6:24 pm 
Pinnacle PCTV HD

It was a woot launch item... aka - newly released product

There are 2 wiki sites that list the card, but give very little information about the card. One simply said "This card is not supported under Linux." However, it also listed information related to the card... which did not make sense to me. (Knoppmyth and MythTV wiki's, I think)

There is a post under the "Hardware" section about it, as well as a brief discussion about the card under my post about a free epg (electronic program guide). That discussion ended with the determination that the best source is the non-profit service Scheduals Direct.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 9:45 pm 
Hi,

The M$ seems to like being hda1 or sometimes it sets itself to hda2 using hda1 a "special" area.

Personnally, I would go for a triple boot. Use gparted and resize the drive giving the M$ what you figure you might need / want. ~30 gig would be a waste for me but I am biased.

Here is my view, others may have different / maybe even better suggestions.

hda1 for M$ ~30 gig (just resize to grab space)
defrag and disable windows "swap area" then resize
in the free area do
hda2 swap ~512meg (assuming => 256 meg of mem)
hda3 ext3 ubuntu ~20 gig since you have alot of space
hda4 becomes extended to be hda 5 & 6
hda 5 ext3 myth ~5gig (default size used for R5F27)
hda6 ext3 spare ~55gig what ever is remaining for storeage)

hdb1 ext3 /myth ~120gig (manually format for large size, follow the pamphlet works great)

Once you have the partitions, manuall install KM into hda5, install loader into partition, Do Not use mbr as that would kill M$.
do not try to boot into KM yet, won't work anyway.

Install a flavor of Ubuntu into hda3. change the mount path not to be /media/hda5 & hda6 Use /myth-os and /myth as are ok. Ubuntu is gracefull and will pick up the M$ and add it to the boot menu. It may also find KM but if not you add it to the /boot/grub/menu.lst file manually.
Also once Ubuntu is installed, edit /etc/fstab and change the check value to be 0 0 for hda5 & hda6. You want myth to do it's own housekeeping.

If the Ubuntu doesn't find KM and add it to the menu, it is easy to manually add.

That would be my plan. You can down the road do an upgrade to KM and / or Ubuntu and be fine. A simple edit to the /boot/grub/menu.lst and all is good to go. :)

Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 8:42 am 
Wow, Thank you.

That does sound like a good setup... but not for me. The M$ drive is already 65% full, which doesn't leave much room to record live TV and install MythTV.

My original plan was to get MythTV working, then build a separate computer - one for M$ games and one for Linux's MythTV. Since the Pinnacle HD card is not yet supported, I plan to attempt this every 4-6 months. That also give me plenty of time to assemble a new computer.

I set all of my forum posts to "Notify me...", so if anything does develop, hopefully I'll know soon thereafter.

Thanks again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 4:33 pm 
Hi,

Well now, you went and left out that tid bit of information.
Quote:
The M$ drive is already 65% full
Assuming the second drive is "empty" then install KM on it, Install Ubuntu on the hda drive as it only needs about 6 gig to be quite useful. The information I already armed you with should give you some ideas. I would suggest ~10 -15 gig as you will find yourself using more and more as it gets comfortable for you.

Use gparted and partition the hdb drive as suggeseted earlier. That should leave you with over a 110 gig for media content. Follow the pamphlet for the manual process as it is important to use the larger storage formatting for the video media.

Again, set the boot to be PARTITION or you may hose your M$ boot. The menu in Ubuntu is how you would lanch KM.

Once installed, upgrades (manual of course) are a walk in the park. Also later if you wanted to move the drive into a different box, a few tweaks to the fstab, a change to lilo.conf and then run lilo -v it make it bootable should be all that is needed and any media content would be preserved.

No warrenties, but I have done several (as in quite a few) with out issue yet.

Or you could disconnect your M$ drive, move the second drive into primary position and auto install. Tweaks would be minor to make run as hdb and still need Ubuntu to boot it as hdb

Hope this isn't confusing.

Mike

Post subject: Re: Dual boot made easy?
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 6:42 pm 
Atsuten wrote:
The way I understand, KM will auto install into hda.

Unless there's something broken, if it detects multiple HDs, it should prompt you for which one to use. However setting it up as hda is probably a bit more reliable.
Atsuten wrote:
Will this configuration work:

IDE: |-----------------------|------|
MotherBoard............WinXP......KnoppMyth

If both drives are jumpered CS, and you have a real 80pin CS cable, that should make your KM drive hda. The only other thing to worry about is setting up lilo to boot the MS-Windows partition.