View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 6:48 pm 
Well I installed Knoppmyth on my computer but after installation and knoppmyth started, the resolution was too high for the ancient 10 year old monitor I was using to install it on and I couldn't see what I was doing well if at all sometimes so I hit enter and clicked buttons until I could get to the settings and change the resolution. After going through many different ways i searched and found out how to do it through the command line. So now I have a couple problems...

1. I can't even figure out how to get from the Knopp defualt screen when it loads to MythTV. (If I hit random buttons it loads eventually.. Yea it's been a while since I used linux since I can't get my soundcard to work in SuSe or any distro but that is almost impossible to solve.)
2. How do I get the resoultion to stay the same after I restart? I am currently just typing in [xrandr -s 640x480]
3. Is there anyway to redo the config that was launched after I installed it?
4. Can I install an internet browser on there?
5. It detected my Hau. 250 fine but when I go to watch TV it says that its already in use and to cancel the recording etc. but there are no recordings and it is not in use.

..Like I said I haven't used Linux for a while and this one is really confusing me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 7:35 pm 
Site Admin
1. <alt><x>
2. Edit your xorg.conf.
3. What is you are trying to reconfigure.
4. MythBrowser is already included. Yes, you can install something else. Please search the forum.
5. Try restarting the backend (<alt><3>).

As you are new, my general request is one topic per thread. Why confuse things with multple questions in one post. Search the forum and wiki for answers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 5:33 pm 
Mike, Welcome!

One of the really nice features of KM it that it installs very quickly ~15 min for me, YMMV. Since it sounds like you're not recording anyway why not start over?

For your sound issue, there are bunches of sound cards that are supported in linux, and are available in bargan bins. you may be able to replace your soundcard for ~$20

I don't know about the video problems, your having; I originally installed using TV-out on an nVidia card, using the "TV" option at the install CD's boot prompt made it all "just work" for me. -- no tweaking necessary.

If you're thinking of buying hardware scan the Tier1 forum, but for the most part if it works in Linux it's usually easy to make it work in KM -- often without effort. Linux hardware support has come a long way in the past few years; and KM is particularly good at detection/configuration.

The MOST important thing is to have fun!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 8:15 am 
Thanks for all the help! And now when I try to get it to work or program channels it says something about you may have to disable the backend to do this or something like that. I will check it again after I get back. I am still not familiar with this frontend backend stuff but hopefully that will solve the problem.

And for the way of the soundcard I can look around for a new one but its tough to beat a $20 card with bit perfect optical out with only having to flash the card. The card that was flashed and the card it is flashed to are both supported in linux but no luck getting a modded card to work so far.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 7:37 pm 
See the documented maintenance procedures on the wiki: http://wwwp.knoppmythwiki.org/index.php?page=GettingBackIntoMytTVsetup