View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 9:34 am 
What a morning!
Mythbox dead. It had been working fine for almost 1 year.

A dragon 1.1 system with an added 500 GB sata drive, seems to have something strange with partition 3, the /myth partition. I can boot from the original 250 GB ide drive, basic hardware seems ok. I can mount partition 1 of the 500GB, /dev/sda1 and that is fine too. If I try a fsck of /dev/sda3 or try to mount /dev/sda3, then the system immediatly halts, crashes, power off, lites out.

I found a cd iso called Ultimate Boot CD. Its got tons of disk diagnostics, tools, etc. I burned one, booted on it, and ran a quick Western Digital Diagnostic on the 500GB and it took 5 minutes to look over the 500GB disk and found no errors. It seems to think the disk is fine, and certainly partition 1, /dev/sda1 is fine.

So I wonder, what to do? it seems there may be some screwy parameters associated with the file system on /dev/sda3 . If I try to refer to the 3rd partition, linux quits. I also used a boot cd with a partition editor, GpartED and it
found partitions, but when it went to fsck the fs on partition 3 it went lites out, halt, crash.

I am just guessing, but I think the disk is ok, but the fs in the 3rd partition causes the linux kernal to shutdown. How do fix the 3rd partiton? any help is appreciated, Thanks.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 8:03 pm 
luxluthor wrote:
A dragon 1.1 system with an added 500 GB sata drive, seems to have something strange with partition 3, the /myth partition. I can boot from the original 250 GB ide drive, basic hardware seems ok. I can mount partition 1 of the 500GB, /dev/sda1 and that is fine too.
I'm not clear on your configuration - Do you have a 250Gb and a 500Gb drive in the system? If yes, what is on the 500Gb, specifcally the paritition you are having trouble with?

luxluthor wrote:
If I try a fsck of /dev/sda3 or try to mount /dev/sda3, then the system immediatly halts, crashes, power off, lites out.
You need to be much more specific here. What options are you using with fsck? What filesystem are you using on sda3? And what exactly does "crashes, power off, lites out." mean? Does the system actually power down? Are there no error messages (check your log files)?

Post subject: it may not matter :>(
PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 5:59 am 
First, thanks for help-ping.
Quote:
I'm not clear on your configuration - Do you have a 250Gb and a 500Gb drive in the system? If yes, what is on the 500Gb, specifcally the paritition you are having trouble with?

You need to be much more specific here. What options are you using with fsck? What filesystem are you using on sda3? And what exactly does "crashes, power off, lites out." mean? Does the system actually power down? Are there no error messages

Yes, both, the 250 is for backups and maintains its original root partiton, which is how it boots....or used too..
The 500 is the current system, so forget about the 250 except for backups.

I now think the disk has a bad region on it and when the heads go there, clunk!, the system dies immediately. I read somewhere http://eduunix.ccut.edu.cn/index/html/linux/OReilly.Linux.Server.Hacks.Volume.Two.Dec.2005/0596100825/morelnxsvrhks-CHP-10-SECT-7.html
Quote:
Disks generally go bad in one of three basic ways:

Hardware failure that prevents the disk heads from moving or seeking to various locations on the disk. This is generally accompanied by a ticking noise whenever you attempt to mount or otherwise access the filesystem, which is the sound of disk heads failing to launch or locate themselves correctly.

Bad blocks on the disk that prevent the disk's partition table from being read. The data is probably still there, but the operating system doesn't know how to find it.

Bad blocks on the disk that cause a filesystem on a partition of the disk to become unreadable, unmountable, and uncorrectable.
The first of these problems can generally be solved only by shipping your disk off to a firm that specializes in removing and replacing drive internals, using cool techniques for recovering data from scratched or flaked platters, if necessary. The second of these problems is discussed in "Recover Lost Partitions" [Hack #93]. This hack explains how to recover data that appears to be lost due to the third of these problems: bad blocks that corrupt filesystems to the point where standard filesystem repair utilities cannot correct them.

I think there is a bad section on the disk and trying to read it does something physically.

I used debugfs on the partition, and:
Code:
debugfs:  features
Filesystem features: has_journal resize_inode filetype needs_recovery sparse_super large_file
debugfs:  logdump
Journal starts at block 781, transaction 4173117
Found expected sequence 4173117, type 1 (descriptor block) at block 781
Found expected sequence 4173117, type 2 (commit block) at block 789
Found expected sequence 4173118, type 1 (descriptor block) at block 790
Found expected sequence 4173118, type 2 (commit block) at block 796
Found expected sequence 4173119, type 1 (descriptor block) at block 797
Found expected sequence 4173119, type 2 (commit block) at block 805
Found expected sequence 4173120, type 1 (descriptor block) at block 806
Found expected sequence 4173120, type 2 (commit block) at block 812
Found expected sequence 4173121, type 1 (descriptor block) at block 813
Found expected sequence 4173121, type 2 (commit block) at block 819
Found expected sequence 4173122, type 1 (descriptor block) at block 820
Found expected sequence 4173122, type 2 (commit block) at block 828
Found expected sequence 4173123, type 1 (descriptor block) at block 829
Found expected sequence 4173123, type 2 (commit block) at block 834
Found expected sequence 4173124, type 1 (descriptor block) at block 835
Found expected sequence 4173124, type 2 (commit block) at block 840
Found expected sequence 4173125, type 1 (descriptor block) at block 841
Found expected sequence 4173125, type 2 (commit block) at block 848
Found expected sequence 4173126, type 1 (descriptor block) at block 849
Found expected sequence 4173126, type 2 (commit block) at block 854
Found expected sequence 4173127, type 1 (descriptor block) at block 855
Found expected sequence 4173127, type 2 (commit block) at block 863
Found expected sequence 4173128, type 1 (descriptor block) at block 864
Found expected sequence 4173128, type 2 (commit block) at block 870
Found expected sequence 4173129, type 1 (descriptor block) at block 871
Found expected sequence 4173129, type 2 (commit block) at block 879
Found expected sequence 4173130, type 1 (descriptor block) at block 880
Found expected sequence 4173130, type 2 (commit block) at block 886

And then clunk, lites out, power off. And now it won't boot, even from a cdrom. Perhaps some power surge or something affected the motherboard? It seems strange that a cdrom won't boot it and the video from the bios is gone.

In the future, I am going to get one of those ide/sata to usb enclosures. When a disk acts up, pull it from the system, put it on its own power supply, and access it through usb. More isolation.

It was a Western Digital 500 GB sata HD 500G|WD 7K 16M SATA2 WD5000YS-01mpb1, I thought their quality was improving, but I may re-think that. And now I have a motherboard which may be toasted. I did learn something about isolation and bad disks, it may be too late for my system, but the ide/sata to usb enclosure is a good idea.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 3:16 pm 
if you disconnect the drive from the motherboard, will the system power up? drive controllers that get ef'ed up can hang the motherboard and cause it to not boot.