View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 7:00 am 
So yesterday I decided to install myth (0.21) on a PC of mine running Ubuntu to have it prepared for when the upgrade to KM 5.5 is released.

To my shock and horror, without so much as asking if it was okay, it searched out my KM box, connected to the backend, and had its way with it. Everything continued working fine on the KM box until after the auto-shutdown last night, it did not wake back up this morning. When I manually booted it, both of my tuners had disappeared!

So after freaking out a little bit, I went ahead and ran KM restore and just like that everything was back to normal. Normally, I would have a backup every Friday, but due to a slight bug (which is now resolved):
http://mysettopbox.tv/phpBB2/viewtopic. ... 306#111285
I didn't have a backup done from last week. So the only thing I really need to do is reconfigure mythwelcome and I should be (almost) set!

So the moral of the story is, take your vitamins and eat your vegetables. And backup Knoppmyth regularly!

The only question I have now is what happens to the livetv recordings from yesterday that should have auto-expired? Do I have to delete them manually? It only lists some programs from May 1-2 and today. Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 5:17 pm 
See the recovery pages on the wiki which has some suggestions for getting orphaned recordings back into the DB and otherwise sorted out. The second half of this page has the details: http://www.knoppmythwiki.org/index.php?page=RepairingMythConvergDB

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 5:44 pm 
Thanks for the link. I searched the wiki, forums, google, and even mythtv wiki, but without the right keywords, it's hard to find anywhere.

Just before reading this I actually went into the "Watch Recordings", changed the group filter to livetv and deleted all of the entries. I then opened a command prompt and went to the /myth/tv folder and deleted all of the files except nfslock.lock and the one video (and corresponding png file) that I had in my recordings. It seems to have worked without causing any damage (at least noticeably!)

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 3:37 am 
Sorry to hear that it broke your backend. Running myth.rebuilddatabase.pl will let you insert any recordings (including LiveTV) that you have made since May 1-2. You can then delete the LiveTV ones.

1) Do you have any logs of what happened on the 0.21 machine?
2) Did you have a UPnP PIN on the backend?

knappster wrote:
To my shock and horror, without so much as asking if it was okay

That should only have happened if:
1) there was no local database on your new 0.21 machine,
2) no UPnP PIN on your older machine, and
3) the newer backend was started non-interactivery (i.e.by a script)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 10:20 am 
Luckily I didn't have any recordings since the last backup (normally I watch and delete or transcode to xvid). I'm not sure if the .21 machine has logs or not, I haven't even turned it on since.

I'm not familiar with the UPnP pin so it's probably not setup.

I installed mythfrontend on the machine through synaptic and I just let it go with all of its dependencies. It either connected during setup or I started up the frontend and it found the database on my backend and started messing with it.

It's really not a big deal, everything has been recovered at this point, I just wanted to warn people what happened to me when I tried to install a frontend on a different machine. If you think that it would benefit others I could look for the logs sometime.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 5:24 am 
knappster wrote:
I installed mythfrontend on the machine through synaptic and I just let it go with all of its dependencies. It either connected during setup or I started up the frontend

Hmmm. The frontend should definitely have put up a "Warning: MythTV wants to upgrade your database schema, from 1111 to 1214" "Exit" "Upgrade" thingy, with a subsequent warning "If your system becomes unstable, a database backup file called blah.sql.gz is located in /myth/tv"

There will be no logs from a frontend run, so we are stuck, but I ''am'' purplexed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 6:52 am 
Well, maybe I'll remove and reinstall the frontend (more carefully this time) and make sure that I didn't zoom through some kind of warning. Frankly, I just wasn't expecting it to seek out my KnoppMyth box since one of the dependencies for the Ubuntu frontend was a backend on the same box.