View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 3:41 pm 
The quote below is from a PM, but I thought the discussion might be valuable so I pasted it into this thread. Advice from folks would be great! The long and short of it is that APCI wakeup on this MB is flaky and doesn't boot every time. Any advice from the group would be welcome :)

Hardware details: Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe (BIOS 1013). Athlon XP 3200+, 1 Gig DDR2, 80 gig EIDE HD (just for testing purposes). R5.5 auto install and yeah, I ran the apcid fix from cesman

Code:
update-rc.d acpid start 12 2 3 4 5 . stop 88 0 1 6 .

Here is the PM and my reply:

alien wrote:
I originally wrote the mythwelcome-test.sh and mythwelcome-set-wakeup.sh scripts with only ACPI and gave them to Cecil. After a couple of weeks, I started to notice that my box sometimes didn't wakeup. I ran a test where the box would repeatedly shutdown for 5 mins and wake up for 5 mins and let it run. After an average of 5-8 cycles, the box would not wakeup.

I tried everything I could think of to fix it with no luck. I ended up adding nvram-wakeup support to the scripts and it is what I now use.

You might give ACPI a try and see how it performs. It would be interesting to see if it is just more or all owners of this MB.

Damn, that's bad news on the APCI wakeup... it does the same thing for me, works about 50 % of the time :(

I tried your mythwelcome-test-wakeup script after adding /home/mythtv/.use-nvram and got this:

Code:
# mythwelcome-test-wakeup.sh
nvram-wakeup retcode: 1Computer set to start in 11 minutes using nvram
Execute the following command
   sudo reboot

I did the reboot and watched it go down and come up to LILO which killed the power. The problem is it never came back up after waiting 20 min :(

Here is my /tmp/alarm.log

Code:
Wed Jul 23 17:10:20 EDT 2008

All values are displayed as they are stored in the nvram/rtc.
(and do not correspond necessarily to the system date/time)

WakeUp  : Enabled (0x4C)
Hour    : 20 (0xB4)
Minute  : 56 (0x78)
Second  : 58 (0xFA)
Checksum: 0x128C

Enabling (0x4C) WakeUp-on-RTC in nvram.
New Hour    : 21 (0xB5)
New Minute  : 16 (0x50)
New Second  : 20 (0xD4)
New Checksum: 0x123F

Now really WRITING into /dev/nvram...
   The changes to take effect, you must reboot your computer now.

Startup: Wed Jul 23 21:25:54 UTC 2008

After reading the warnings on the the official mythtv wiki I kinda scared to try this on my own. Since we both have the same board, is there some nvram config file I can load from your machine or..?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 1:40 am 
Hi Graysky,

I think the sometimes-wakeup problem is specific to this MB (although other MBs seem to be having various other problems with the new interface).

As for the nvram-wakeup warnings, if it works without creating a config file, it is pretty safe. In your case, it is working, so no worries.

As for your particular problem, I have the same thing the first time I use nvram-wakeup. To fix it:

1. Go into BIOS and manually set a wakeup.

2. Shut down the computer and let it wake up on it's own.

3. Retest with the mythwelcome-test.sh script.

The general rule I have found is that if the computer is completely powered down (unplugged), nvram-wakeup will not work until a manual BIOS wakeup is done. I think there is a BIOS option "boot after power failure", but I've never played with it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 5:40 pm 
Thanks for the detailed reply. I'm kinda bummed out that the wakeup of >1 day isn't supported. Looking back at my old boards, I don't think I've owned one that didn't allow for a day as well as a time with this exception :)

Oh well, guess I'll just keep using my 1.6 GHz Athlon XP until it breaks or until we get an HD set at which point I'll drop the cash for a C2D-based system.