View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
 Post subject: DVI
PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 10:21 am 
Hi, I'm ready to try this driver to see if I can get a 848x480 modeline to output via DVI to my projector? Here are a few questions I have:

1. Will DVI-our work with just a normal installation without editing the XF86config-4 file?

2. Can you run S-video out of your video card and also use the VGA/DVI ports on a Nvidia Ti4200 card??

Thanks

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 11:00 pm 
Just wanted to let anybody interested know that I tried this new driver, along with compiling mplayer from CSV, and the results were 30% CPU compared to +97% CPU with non-functional XvMC on 108i from base KnoppMyth install.

The story goes, I installed KnoppMyth on an EPIA ME6000 and it(XvMC) couldn't handle 1080i streams because of some 1024x1024 max buffer size built into the video MPEG decoder. Then I moved over to an AMD 2600+ system with a GeForce FX5200, but the XvMC again wouldn't work with the larger sized 1080i streams( 480p worked like the EPIA but now the failure was not a hardware restriction). An mplayer thread said the CSV version fixed the problem and sure enough, it really works.

BTW, an easy way to get the new driver loaded is to just edit the /usr/local/bin/install-nvidiaxxxx.sh file and change the VER=7174 line to VER=8174. Next boot and it'll pick up the new driver and install it. BE WARNED, it'll blow away your XFree86-4 conf file so make a backup first.

KnoppMyth is pretty darn nice Cecil! :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 11:19 pm 
just out of curiosity why would you really be concerned with mplayer working for 1080i? It's not like there's alot of content out there at 1080i other than what you record.

Xsecrets

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 11:47 pm 
locutus42 wrote:
KnoppMyth is pretty darn nice Cecil! :-)
Thanks.

When the source is open, the possibilities are endless!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 7:47 pm 
locutus42 wrote:
BTW, an easy way to get the new driver loaded is to just edit the /usr/local/bin/install-nvidiaxxxx.sh file and change the VER=7174 line to VER=8174. Next boot and it'll pick up the new driver and install it.

Okey-dokey...I followed this suggestion and downloaded/installed the new drivers for my FX5200. I thought the nvidia-xconfig app was included in the driver package but it appears to be a separate app. (Entering 'nvidia-xconfig' in an X shell gives a 'bad command' message.)

I downloaded and untarred the file. Now I have a directory with what appears to be source code. WHAT am I supposed to do in order to make the app work...?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 10:04 pm 
It's easier to tweak the script to do it for you. I've posted about how to do this in the past, it's pretty simple, like a one line change... A search should turn up the details. Frankly I was utterly unimpressed by the app, all it automates is the easy part of munging the text and leaves you to deal with the arcane stuff in an unfamiliar form with less context....

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 7:49 am 
tjc wrote:
It's easier to tweak the script to do it for you. I've posted about how to do this in the past, it's pretty simple, like a one line change... A search should turn up the details. Frankly I was utterly unimpressed by the app, all it automates is the easy part of munging the text and leaves you to deal with the arcane stuff in an unfamiliar form with less context....

Thanks. I replied to you in the other thread with a question.

Post subject: Still some problems
PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 1:21 pm 
After installation I find that several things did not install as the nVidia docs say they should have...like the documentation. Apparently the nvidia-xconfig program is either not compiling or still being trashed. I had followed the instructions to modify the install script before trying again, but had to use -force to get the drivers to re-install. Since this didn't work (or didn't seem to), I decided to run the install package manually per nVidia's instructions in the readme without using the script.

Or at least attempt to try. I can't do it. The installer complains about finding the 'nvidia' module in use or the xserver still running and it quits. Hmm. Next, I edited the /etc/inittab file to set the initial runlevel to 3 and rebooted. No joy--I still can't run the installer. I tried lsmod to show the modules and rmmod to stop nvidia and nvidia.agp and got "ERROR: module in use." Hmmph. Nothing's simple, is it? :(

How do I start the system directly to a command shell...?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 10:00 pm 
just out of curiosity why would you really be concerned with mplayer working for 1080i? It's not like there's alot of content out there at 1080i other than what you record. :lol:

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6