View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 11:30 am 
I just installed R5.5 onto my system and I am getting alot of segmentation faults. Every time I exit from watching live tv and sometimes when I exit from recorded tv, mythfrontend closes and displays a segmentation fault in the console window. I also get the message of missing dependencies when I try and install things like firefox, but I think that is another story.

I have reinstalled without my video card (ATI raedon 9250) and everything installs great. After I put the video card I recieve the "c7" respawning too fast: disabled for 5". This continues even after I remove the video card. I also tried a auto upgrade from a working R5F27 and still had segmentation faults.

I am not sure which problem I should address first. I need the video card as I run 2 displays (monitor & projector). I am willing to invest in a new video card with a nvidia if it would make my problems go away, or are there suitable drivers for my ATI card out there?

I have logs of the error if it helps, I just keep investing time and just need some direction.

Thanks

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 1:04 pm 
roofchop wrote:
I am willing to invest in a new video card with a nvidia if it would make my problems go away...

roofchop wrote:
I have reinstalled without my video card (ATI raedon 9250) and everything installs great.

I think you solved your own problem.

We all have/had high hopes for the children of ATI and AMD, but so far the track record is still pretty poor. For every success story there seems to be 10 failures. I have heard of 9250's running under linux, so I'm sure you could get it working eventually.

I guess the decision comes down to the cost of a new card versus the cost of the Advil you'd need to get a working driver set up for the 9250.

I think there's info out there on getting two separate displays from a single card.