View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 7:05 am 
Just recently I have noticed that my swap partition is filling up to ~100% usage. Not sure the reason why but when it is full video playback is quite choppy. Looking at my RRDTool Graphs from the last day, month, and year you can see the usage.

As you can see the swap was next to nonexistent prior to July. The only that has changed on my system is the addition of a 1TB hard drive a few months ago. I have just purchased some additional ram to add to the existing 512mb.

Any thoughts on the cause of the full swap and why it is not being purged regularly?

Thanks in advance

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 10:02 pm 
Most likely the known Nvidia driver leaks covered in the hints. Check top and see how much memory your X server is using.

BTW - I have the same issue. Killing the X server once a week or rebooting will reset it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 3:51 am 
Get Mythwelcome up and running - it will solve this forever! LOL! (and save you electricity bill a bit)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 7:37 am 
Thanks,

I know how to restart x with the Keyboard (CTRL-ALT-BACKSPACE), but since I don't have a keyboard hooked up it is a better option to automate the process.

Was doing a little searching and was unable to find out how to restart x via the terminal. Was going to add the command to cron (with the idle script) and set it to run weekly in the early morning.

Thanks again

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 8:11 am 
pkill xinit
will restart the xserver via a terminal.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 9:26 am 
After thinking I didn't have enough ram in my myth box, then adding a bad stick of ram by accident which caused all kinds of weird issues I'm now seeing the swap file filling up issue. I've noticed it on two machines, neither running nvidia cards. Has anyone found the root cause of this issue? I know I can restart X but I was looking for a more user friendly fix. I've done the update cecil talked about in the following thread to fix the multiple key presses issue.

http://knoppmyth.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=113750

One box is using the ati driver and the other is using the sis driver.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 3:44 pm 
I added pkill X to crontab to happen in the middle of the night and that seems to have fixed my issues with swap filling up. Although now I have another issue. On my combined fronend/backend everything is fine. On my frontend only machines I've added mythjobqueue to the .fluxbox/apps file to help with commercial flagging and transcoding. Now every time pkill X happens it starts another mythjobqueue. How do I get it to skip mythjobqueue in the apps file when doing the pkill but not on a system bootup?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 8:44 pm 
Wrap mythjobqueue with a script that checks to see if it's already running and only starts it up if it's not.
Code:
#!/bin/bash
if ! pgrep mythjobqueue >/dev/null ; then
    # command to start it up here...
fi