View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Go to page Previous  1, 2

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 11:25 pm 
Also, With Gig E don't forget to enable jumbo frames as covered in various places here and on the wiki. This can provide a significant boost in network throughput.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 3:17 am 
Interesting what you observed when you used a ATA disk instead of a SATA disk. The SIL SATA controller on this board is notorious for hogging the PCI bus. I have the same motherboard and found out that using a SATA disk and DVB adapters would give me all kinds of troubles, while ATA disks instead worked just fine. In short this SATA controller wont play nice with other PCI devices. If you want to use SATA with this board, then what worked fine for me was to disable the onboard SATA controller and use a Promise PCI SATA controller card instead.

For testing out the LAN performance and to rule out issues caused by switches or cabling I found that iperf is an excellent tool for that job. Keep in mind though that the 32bit PCI bus wont exceed ~500Mbit, so it wont allow full Gbit performance, but should still be up to five times faster that 100Mbit Ethernet. PCIe Gbit adapter should allow for full Gbit speeds.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 2:47 pm 
tjc wrote:
Also, With Gig E don't forget to enable jumbo frames as covered in various places here and on the wiki. This can provide a significant boost in network throughput.

Too right, tjc. I've been using 4k JF's forever. I think I was one of the first KM users to to publicize jumbo frames in these forums.

@willem - thanks for the post. It very well could be the SiI crapping up the system. I finally said f*ck it and pulled that drive out, reinstalled and now all is well: humming along between 30-40 Mb/s now.

Thanks to all who contributed to the thread :)

Go to page Previous  1, 2