View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 11:24 pm 
I got a bit carried away buying some new hardware, making the bad assumption that I could install R5.5 on it. Guess I should have read the forum a bit more closely.

I bought a Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R with a Intel E8400 (Wolfdale) processor. It has an ICH10R Northbridge and a P45 Southbridge.

The install fails early on, when it attempts to format the disk. (I get an error from cfdisk, --radiolist expected 7 got 4). From searching around a bit, I see that ICH10 support first went into 2.6.24 kernels, and R5.5 uses a 2.6.23 kernel.

So, it looks like I need to grab a .24 or later version of the kernel source and rebuild it. I think I can do this no problem, but it gets a bit harder when I can't get a working system to start from, however, I should be able to install on an older system I have, build the new kernel, and then swap the hard drive over to the ICH10/E8400 system.

Are there any tricks to doing this that I should be aware of up front?

My basic plan is to install 5.5 on a Intel Pentium-M system,
Get the 2.6.23 kernel source from knoppmyth.tv (do I need to do this?)
Get the 2.6.26 kernel form kernel.org
Build it (not quite sure if I need to track down a config file, I think I should be modifying the one that was used to build the .23 kernel in 5.5?)
I think I will skip putting in the Nvidia driver, since I think the E8400 should be plenty fast without the hardware acceleration.
Try it out on the Pentium-M system, and once it works,
Move the hard drive over to the new system, and pray that it will boot.

Does this seem like a plan that might work? Do I need to rebuild anything else?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 8:04 am 
That sucks but I would certainly try your plan.

I don't think you need the .23 source since you're planning to build up the .26 source from scratch. If it does work, do yourself a favor and install the nvidia driver since the pixel pushing isn't so much a function of the CPU as it is the GPU.

Maybe others in here will have some ideas for you as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 11:15 pm 
Site Admin
jimh would you like to test R6?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 3:03 pm 
@jimh - did you get it working w/ R5.5 or have you tested out R6?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 11:48 pm 
graysky wrote:
@jimh - did you get it working w/ R5.5 or have you tested out R6?

Since Cecil pulled me into testing R6, I decided not to put any effort into getting it to work with 5.5.

Other than some issues with sound that I think have been fixed, but not yet released to testers, this choice of HW looks good for R6.

One of my considerations for this hardware was low power/high performance, and I think it meets that requirement. With the WD Green power drive running it draws 75 watts, and when I am watching a program, it draws 80 watts. Not bad considering I am using an older not very efficient power supply. It is very quiet with the stock Intel CPU fan.

On a side note, has anyone found a not too expensive video card with HDMI output that as a good chance of supporting ALSA digital audio output via the HDMI? Either one that you are thinking of trying, or have?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 4:35 am 
Glad to hear R6 worked for you. You might wanna start a new thread about your HDMI request, otherwise I doubt it'll get much exposure in this thread.

Post subject: HDMI audio
PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 1:43 am 
graysky wrote:
Glad to hear R6 worked for you. You might wanna start a new thread about your HDMI request, otherwise I doubt it'll get much exposure in this thread.

I realize that my comment about HDMI audio is buried down in this now off topic string. I wasn't quite ready to create a new string till I did a bit of research to educate myself. From my quick search, I mostly see people asking about how to make it work, not anything that suggests that any version of the ALSA drivers support any HW from either ATI or Nvidia. Not a good sign.

I also don't have a very good understanding of the way sound works in the video chipsets. But it looks like there is a complete sound CODEC in the video chipset, thus none of the sound hardware on the motherboard is used. Note that the sound on HDMI is just a few additional packets in the video bit stream. So, there is no simple way to take an SPDIF stream and get it to come out the other end of a HDMI cable.

What I need is a bunch of bad weather, so I have no excuse to get away from the computer. Time to get some sleep so I can go mountain biking instead of digging into the ALSA drivers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 9:15 am 
Jimh, please let us know if you have any success on "sound over HDMI" -- I would also like to get this running, but so far the "research" I've done suggests that it it is no well support yet in Linux.

Marc

The views expressed are my own and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 11:35 pm 
marc.aronson wrote:
Jimh, please let us know if you have any success on "sound over HDMI" -- I would also like to get this running, but so far the "research" I've done suggests that it it is no well support yet in Linux.

Marc

Marc (and others),

After searching around a bit, at least with Nvidia chipsets, I am thinking the audio is provided by a discrete audio chip (such as RealTek) that feeds the digital audio stream into the graphics chip to be combined with the video before it goes out the HDMI port. The problem is (assuming the use of a graphics card, not a motherboard with onboard HDMI), there are only a few inexpensive video cards with Nvida chipsets.

One that looked interesting is the MSI N9400GT-MD512. However, I was not able to find out what audio chip is on the board. No useful information on the MSI web site or elsewhere. If I were able to find what audio chip was used, and then verify ALSA supports it, then it should just be a SIMPLE case of getting the configuration correct!

Or, if you go the route of a motherboard with HDMI port on it, such as the ASUS M3N78-EM, there is a good chance of making it work, see this:
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/m ... ers/366608

This motherboard uses the RealtekĀ® ALC1200 audio.

Since I just bought a motherboard without onboard video, I would like to go down the path of a video card. Just not sure if the ideal one exists yet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 8:35 am 
Quote:
Or, if you go the route of a motherboard with HDMI port on it, such as the ASUS M3N78-EM, there is a good chance of making it work, see this:
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/m ... ers/366608

Jim, my MSI motherboard has built in HDMI using the nvidia chipset, so I am interested in this. When I read through that thread, it looked like it hasn't worked yet and he is still trying to sort out the issues, but maybe I missed something. Did you see a place where someone declared they got sound over HDMI to work?

Marc

The views expressed are my own and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 7:42 pm 
JimH,

It looks like the "Sapphire X1600 PRO HDMI" and "GeCube X1300 PROfessional" cards both support HDMI. But they both require a S/PDIF-out port on the mother board.