View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 11:06 am 
I have a command line program running in alternate console #2 (cnt-alt-F2) on R5.5. Is it possible to connect to that console remotely via ssh (putty) or vnc or some other method? I've tried hitting cnt-alt-F2 in tightVNC but nothing happens.
Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 11:57 am 
What do you want to do with it? If it's already running you can use "kill" or similar commands (ps, renice, ...) to send it signals, monitor its activity, change it's priority or the like but that is about it. You might be able to do something with a security monitoring program like ttysnoop, ttywatch or snoop and root privileges.

There are also programs which use pseudo ttys to let you multiplex, detach and switch sessions, but you need to start the session up under them for those to work.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 12:25 pm 
tjc wrote:
What do you want to do with it?
I restart my frontend (via remote control) quite often with multiple xorg.confs to switch between dvi and vga and svideo outputs, depending on where I am in the house. My intention was to run bitchx, a text based irc client. If it is running in an alternate console, I can restart the frontend and not lose the session, which is what happens with gui clients running under X. The mythbox is in the basement, so that's why I wanted to be able to connect to the irc client remotely. I figured this would be easy with a text based client, but I was just guessing at that.

I'm quite new to linux (knoppmyth got me started), so I really am not aware of what options might work.

tjc wrote:
There are also programs which use pseudo ttys to let you multiplex, detach and switch sessions, but you need to start the session up under them for those to work.
Anything that will stay running while the frontend is restarted would work. I could startup under that something if that would do it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 3:45 pm 
Thanks for the leads, tjc!
Googling your clues led me to the program "screen". I think it will do just what I want. I installed it with "apt-get install screen". I left the sources set to "stable", from my last install of something. Is this correct or should I have changed the source back to "unstable"? Does anyone know when to use "stable" and when to use "unstable"?