View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 3:05 pm 
[UPDATE] Better solution is here: http://knoppmyth.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=19790

I have recently been on a quest to find a means to converge:

1) KnoppMyth R5F27 (works best for me)
2) ACPI_Wakeup
3) Mythwelcome
4) MythWeb
5) iPhone/iPod Feeds on Mythweb
6) iPhone 3G and/or iPod Touch 2G

Items 1 through 5 are well documented in numerous places to set this up, so I will leave this to you to pursue and get working.

Part 6 is the tricky part. The iPhone and iPod Touch have Safari browser and QuickTime. However, these are not fully enabled versions that will do all that a *nix, Mac or PC can do with a media player plug in to a full browser like Firefox or (gulp) IE6/7.

As well, although I really wanted to implement the elements advocated in this post:http://knoppmyth.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=15796&highlight=web+secure+https - The QuickTime playback functionality of the iPhone/iPod Touch seems to gag on playback and lobs an error about not being able to download the files.

So, I have stopped at htdigest password security for MythWeb and allowing the box to shutdown.

I have discovered an application called "GNU Screen" that is NOT part of KnoppMyth R5F27 that allows a secure shell session to create a persistent shell that survives beyond the logout of the ssh client session.

Essentially, this is a quick and dirty way to permit a crafty user to modify a "mythpreshutdown script" (see many places elsewhere on the web to do this) by adding to their 'mythpreshutdown' something like:

Code:
# Persistent GNU Screen window is open
ps_gnuscreen=`ps cax | grep -c screen`

if [ $ps_gnuscreen != 0 ]; then
     echo "$mdy $hms GNU screen session still active, recycle countdown..."
     exit 1
fi

This will force your preshutdown check to exit 1 and dump this to the mythshutdown status and avert a shutdown. Since the session is persistent until you exit it (as if you were exiting a terminal shell), you can hold it on as long as you choose.

This GNU Screen session can later be "reacquired" by an ssh client on the iPod (such as the free TouchTerm app from the AppStore with "persistent connections" enabled) and the next time you log into the ssh server from afar as the same user, you will get to the same GNU Screen session as before.

Upon exiting this screen by issuing

Code:
knoppmyth>$ exit

The iPod terminal session will annouce it closed and your KnoppMyth backend will count out its shutdown timer and go to sleep as normal.

WARNING

Installing GNU Screen could be done using 'apt-get'. However, looking over the dependencies involved last night, I elected NOT to apt-get install it.

Rather, I downloaded the source code from the GNU Screen project directly at http://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/screen/ - and compiled it as the 'mythtv' user in a local folder. The 'make' and 'make install' commands worked without errors or significant compiler warnings.

The program was installed to the /usr/bin folder (as advocated by the TouchTerm website manual). This was done by running the include install.sh script as the 'root' user.

I've been using this setup a couple of days now and it works fine.

To wake my backend, I use a Wake-on-LAN tool for the iPod Touch or other PC's.

My last piece to the puzzle is to get a remote wakeup solution in place to wake the backend while I am away from home (e.g. Starbucks Hotspot).

Interested in any other solutions by the user community out there. This seems to work quite nicely for me.[/url]

512 MB RAM, 120 GB HDD
DVD, FDD
PVR250, Plextor TV-M402U (go7007 method)
R5F27 (ACPI_wake method)
Mythwelcome