View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 2:11 pm 
Greetings,
My R5 machine blew up (hard drive failure - heavy dust and dog hair caused massive heat build up I guess).
So, thankfully I had a bunch of hardware around to build a whole new box, and attempt to rebuild it bigger and better.
Initially I tried R5, however it didn't have drivers for my onboard network card.

On to R6.
The basics seem to work, watching tv, recording, scheduling, etc.
My wife is in love with the web access! THANK YOU THANK YOU.

The final thing I have to test is playback of uploaded video.
In R6 it took a while to sort out the use of WinSCP, but I had it figured out and could upload video and watch it just fine.
I also used Webmin occasionally, but far preferred WinSCP.

In R6, I can't figure out how to activate WinSCP.
I tried connecting with both "root" and my user account, and get "access denied".

So I fell back to attempting to use Webmin. I located the button to activate Webmin in the service menu, but still cannot connect to that. "Page load error".

I can't sort out is where the "reboot" or "shutdown" buttons went!

I have not tried updating anything with Pacman. Is this advisable? I understand R6 is still in development so if things are "working", maybe I shouldn't update?

I also want to try out the video description script that has a longish thread on here somewhere, but this is a project for another day.

The only thing I would change in R6 is the "buttons" are confusing to me. I'd far prefer boxes with a checkmark when the setting is active.

Thanks!
Dave Winn

Post subject: Webmin is alive
PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 5:48 pm 
Webmin is up on this box now, I guess it took a bit for the service to start up?

I can upload small files via webmin, but a typical 800mb sized file seems to be failing for some reason. Seems I really need SCP working for those.

Fiddling around in the webmin menus for SSH and trying to figure out what to turn on or give permissions to.

I found that giving root ssh permission and restarting the server in webmin worked to get this working.

I didn't see my username in the list, and am unsure of the password for user "mythtv".

I guess these tips go in the "newbie usability" category.

Any answers to the other questions would still be appreciated!

Last edited by winndm on Sat Jun 06, 2009 7:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 5:53 pm 
winndm wrote:
I can't sort out is where the "reboot" or "shutdown" buttons went!

press m when you are in the mythtv root menu.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 10:35 am 
Are your /etc/hosts.allow and /etc/hosts.deny configured correctly? I have this note in mine from when I set up stuff:

Code:
[xxx@mythtv etc]$ cat hosts.allow
#
# /etc/hosts.allow
#
ALL: 192.168.
ALL: 10.
ALL: 127.0.0.1
# End of file
[xxx@mythtv etc]$ cat hosts.deny
#
# /etc/hosts.deny
#
# Commented this out because SSH from a local network host wasn't working.
# ALL: ALL: DENY

# End of file
[xxx@mythtv etc]$

Also, regarding a solution for moving stuff onto your LinHES box - I assume you are moving stuff from Windows (thus WinSCP). It might be worth looking into setting up a Samba share that is writeable by your Windows machine so that you can map a network drive in Windows and simply drag-and-drop stuff onto your box. Also works with Mac clients, too. Another solution would be NFS, but I think that requires extra software for Windows. I've set up a Samba config to do this, if you want to know more about it, let me know.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 3:16 pm 
+1 for Samba

A little more work to set up but stupid simple to put videos on your box once it's working.

Vizio 37" LCD HDTV (1080p)