View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 7:37 am 
Can anyone explain how the pacman repositories are used in LinHES?

Background:

I want to install postfix. It isn't in the default R6 repositories set up. I edited pacman.conf to use the mirrors in /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist. I installed postfix, but it uses older versions of shared libraries and won't start. I modifed pacman.conf to use the /etc/pacman.d/mv_core_testing and /etc/pacman.d/mv_extra_testing repositories. After that, postfix is not there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 9:16 am 
Yeah, if you edit it to use the official Arch repos you're asking for problems... LinHES isn't Arch. The packages/deps are different. You might wanna make a feature request over on flyspray for the addition of postfix into LinHES.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 2:43 am 
That's a little disappointing. We have to request a package be added to LinHES before we can use or even test it? Is that a long term plan or is that just because the beta is churning at this point?

One might argue that LinHES is an appliance and we don't need every package. However, I can't imagine someone will be able to determine all the useful ones for this appliance. It also makes it difficult to test new additions to LinHES if the SW first has to be added. I don't even know if postfix will do what I want on Arc Linux (it seems to have been somewhat crippled compared to debian). It would be useful if it were easier to test out new ideas for software.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 6:56 am 
Well. I think if your of a mind to experiment. And your willing to take some calculated risk. The risk being that you'll have to reinstall from cd. This thread had a discussion about modifying pacman repositories.

http://mysettopbox.tv/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=19592

You can *append* the following to your /etc/pacman.conf to pick up some utilities that are not in the primary LinHES repositories.

Code:
[core-testing]
Server = http://knoppmyth.net/repo/i686/core-testing

[extra-testing]
Server = http://knoppmyth.net/repo/i686/extra-testing

Please read the whole thread so you get an idea regarding the difference of opinion of going outside the LinHES respository. I did use this to pick a few things up while experimenting with a new installation. In the end, it is not clear if there is anything I will need long term. When I finally settle on my preferred configuration, I will rebuild from scratch and post my notes to TIER2 and post to flyspray regarding any necessary/interesting additional packages.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 8:04 am 
Thanks for the response. Interesting thread.

I have already tried using the Arch repositories and the first thing I tried didn't work because of dependencies. It seems it is not recommended for good reason.

With debian, we had instant access to everything that was included in debian. It seems with Arch, we only get the packages that are added to LinHES repositories.

I don't want to sound too negative. I see a lot of advantages to arch linux. It is just that it is a little disappointing that adding software is now going to require a flyspray.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 8:37 am 
Another option is to build the packages from source. I compiled the latest ALSA drivers this weekend. It is not too difficult. You usually just download the source and read the readme file to compile.

http://mysettopbox.tv/phpBB2/viewtopic. ... highlight=

Hopefully, compiling from source will help with dependencies since it will compile in the versions you have installed.

I too am having a tough time transitioning from Debian to ARCH Linux. Lucky for me, I have new hardware to play around with disturbing the production myth box. However, I have to put my faith in Cecil and team's choices. They've done a great job so far. I like to think that Arch will give a more stable platform in the long run. Note that if you are successful compiling a new applications on Arch, Mike gave me a pointer to a page which has instructions to build your own package for LinHES. I haven't tried it yet, but would like too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 3:42 am 
I just found some excellent instructions and it works out-of-the-box for me. Using source directly from arch repositories generally means no need to worry about the README or the ./configure.

http://www.go2linux.org/how-to-install- ... -linux-abs