View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
 Post subject: FSCK problem?
PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 10:43 am 
I ran into a database problem two nights ago. One of my Slave Backends had went wierd and for some reason I was losing contact with the Database and Backend on the MBE across all of my system.

I ran a power down cycle across all of my systems. When the MBE went to come back up it got stuck at checking the Disks. Saying it had been 236 days since they had been checked. It essentially was not able to complete that check after running over night.
Yesterday, I power cycled it a couple of times and it did finally complete the check on:
/dev/hda3 -myth =269 gig of primary 320Gig Pata disk1
/dev/sda1 -myth/tv1 = 320gig Sata disk2
/dev/sdb1 -myth/tv2 = 320gig Sata disk3
however it hung for a few hours on /dev/sdc1 -myth/tv3 = 750gig Sata disk4

It would work real hard on the disk for a while then after about an hour or so I would show no disk activity and all it said on screen was something about running fsck on /dev/sdc1.

I thought I was having a disk crash on my newest of the 4 disks in this system.

I went to the disaster recovery section on the wiki and found the instructions to get to single user mode. Once it was up I ran fsck on each of the disks from there.
Code:
#fsck /dev/sdc1

I had consistent disk activity through Pass 1, Pass 2, Pass 3, Pass 4, then it was on Pass 5 - checking Group Summary or something like that. It ran for a while and then the disk light went out. I left it that way for 10 hrs. It never completed.

I was doing some research on this and found that I could make a change in fstab to not check this disk. I made that change and rebooted the system. The MBE booted up and is running completely now.

I was able to let the wife watch some TV last night and even the most recent recordings seemed just fine.

In looking at Webmin > Smart Drive status I do see where it has similar numbers to the other drives. Only one thing is actually different.

This shows up in the status:
Current Pending Sector 25
Offline Uncorrectable 25
Multi Zone Error Rate 0
TA Increase Count 0

None of the other 4 drives shows that.
I know some errors are sort of normal on these drives.

So really a couple of questions now come to mind:
Is this telling me the drive is having a problem?

Do I really need to run fsck on a drive?

How do I modify fsck to get it to finish checking this drive? It acts like the routine just times out.

TIA.

for reference Running R5.5
My mbe is similar configuration the first reference systems out there. Same Motherboard, AMD 3400, 1Gig of Ram, 1 capture card.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 8:47 pm 
Site Admin
I know of no way to modify fstab to prevent this... What you need to do is
Code:
tune2fs -c 0 /dev/foo
This will prevent auto fsck on the drive in question... I've not used SMART myself to comment on it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 4:53 am 
Someone else had this problem. See https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=444119.

They managed to fix it with the badblocks command (see the bottom of the bug). You might try that.

Failing that, you might want to try looking at http://smartmontools.sourceforge.net/badblockhowto.html

Post subject: Re: FSCK problem?
PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 7:27 pm 
bigbro wrote:
This shows up in the status:
Current Pending Sector 25
Offline Uncorrectable 25
Multi Zone Error Rate 0
TA Increase Count 0

It means there are 24 sectors waiting for re-allocation. You have 24 sectors that have issues and the drive does have spares that can be used. However this normally has to be done off line.

I expect badblocks will work but I generally take the drive off line and do a low level format of it using the drive manufacturers tools. This then forces the blocks to be reallocated.

I run all of my server disks in some form of RAID so it is easy enough for me to pull one of the array to do this. But in my experience when a disk starts doing this, it is the beginning of the end for it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:09 am 
If it's your newest drive I'm guessing it's still under warranty. 24 bad sectors is probably enough to get it replaced.

Vizio 37" LCD HDTV (1080p)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 7:32 pm 
Yea I actually was thinking that too. Trying to find a drive I can put in there to replace this one with.
It has around 500 gig of stuff on it at the moment.

I guess I need to look for a replacement drive soon.