View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
 Post subject: net unreachable?
PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 9:42 pm 
Weirdest problem.

My mythtv box can't ping outside my network. It hits the router (192.168.1.1) and then returns "destination net unreachable".

It's not simply a dns issue, as I tried it with the IP address of sites I frequent. I verified by pinging them on my windows box.

I'm also currently connecting to the mythtv box from my windows box, so it's not a matter of a broken connection.

The only thing I can think of is that 2 months ago I did a firmware upgrade on my router. Had been having problems with it where it would lose connections every 10 minutes and reset. I am moderately sure it had been working before that because I'd only reinstalled mythtv 3-4 months ago, and I think I'd had to get a video driver patch. (nvidia)

On the other hand, the subnet mask my router shows for my provider is 255.255.254.0. Not sure if this is a problem. I use 255.255.255.0 on my lan.

The third possibility is my second router, which is acting as a switch. I have it set as 192.168.1.2 I think, but I can't seem to access it atm. Pinging it from my windows box returns 192.168.1.102 which is a completely different box but still shows "destination host unreachable".

However, pinging it from my mythtv box returns 192.168.1.2 correctly, but still "destination host unreachable".

That router/switch is set to basically take the one network cable going into that room, and let the mythtv box and the hdhomerun (which wants 2 network ports) share their own network. (also so I wouldn't have to run more lines to them or buy a bigger router)

Any ideas or suggestions of what to try?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:58 pm 
Well, just narrowed down the problem.

It IS caused by the second router.

I ran the network cable directly to the mythtv box to see if I could connect out that way, and it worked. I should have thought of trying that before.

I'm guessing that somehow it reset itself and is on 192.168.1.1, causing it to fail trying to get to the primary router and fail when anything tries to access 192.168.1.2, since nothing is on that anymore.

So I just need to hook up a box to it to reconfigure it again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:46 pm 
and the crowds all over the land cheered...yay.

that was it. Somehow the second router/switch got reset to 192.168.1.1. I got it back to 192.168.1.2 and everything works now. My mythbox can access the internet again.

The only thing I can figure is that 2 months ago I did a firmware upgrade for my main router because it was acting up. But on second thought, it might have been acting up because the other router somehow got reset to be the same IP.

I had noticed that if my router is trying to refresh it's IP, if the cable to the other router was plugged in, it couldn't do it. It would end up with 0.0.0.0, and I'd have to unplug the network cable to the other router, and reset the modem.

Naturally, I didn't know I could just unplug the one cable, so I was undoing all but the one to the router. Today I realized what was happening and verified I could just dc the one cable.