View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
 Post subject: X issue (again)
PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 5:58 am 
I'm having trouble (again) configuring X. My system has changed configuration several times so I decided to reinstall (auto-upgrade). Once I get a stable SBE I'm going to upgrade to 6.x, right now I'm at 5.5.

My current bizarre issue is that X looks GREAT when I install fresh but if I add a pvr-350 to the system (analog over comcast still exists here and I use it more often than digital) X doesn't come up. I'm looking thru the Xorg.0.log trying to determine why but in the meanwhile I thought I'd just ask for help.

I am not using the pvr-350's svideo out port to connect to the TV. I have a nvidia 8400 for that (dvi port if it matters).

I think the issue is with the frame buffer. But I'm not sure. The cards are at addresses:

01:0a.1 Multimedia controller: Conexant Systems, Inc. CX23880/1/2/3 PCI Video and Audio Decoder [Audio Port] (rev 05)
01:0a.2 Multimedia controller: Conexant Systems, Inc. CX23880/1/2/3 PCI Video and Audio Decoder [MPEG Port] (rev 05)
01:0a.4 Multimedia controller: Conexant Systems, Inc. CX23880/1/2/3 PCI Video and Audio Decoder [IR Port] (rev 05)
02:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation G98 [GeForce 8400 GS] (rev a1)

Xorg.conf has everything defined thusly:
Section "Device"
Identifier "Card0"
Driver "nvidia"
Option "XvmcUsesTextures" "false"
Option "UseEvents" "true"
VendorName "All"
BoardName "All"
EndSection

Note that this works flawlessly when I remove the pvr-350.

Thanks for your help. -Abs.

Abby

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 8:47 am 
A shot in the dark here... Do you have directfb installed?

Code:
$ sudo pacman -Q directfb

If not,

Code:
$ sudo pacman -Sy directfb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 9:08 am 
Well it's a 5.5 install so I don't have pacman but that's not an issue.

What is directfb and why do I need it?

Code:
root@mythfe:/var/log# dpkg -l | grep -i fb

ii  libdirectfb-0.9-25                         0.9.25.1-5                                         direct frame buffer graphics - shared libraries
ii  libdirectfb-dev                            0.9.25.1-5                                         direct frame buffer graphics library - development fil
ii  libdirectfb-extra                          0.9.25.1-5                                         direct frame buffer graphics - extra providers
ii  libxine1-console                           1.1.8-3                                            libaa/libcaca/framebuffer/directfb related plugins for
ii  xserver-xorg-video-fbdev                   1:0.3.1-4                                          X.Org X server -- fbdev display driver

Thanks, -Abs

Abby

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 4:50 pm 
Nevermind, I thought you were talking about R6.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 6:36 pm 
It seems to me like a waste of time trying to get R5.5 working before starting all over again with R6. If your media is in tact, I would make the jump straight to R6

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 7:47 am 
Go directly to R6 >> My MBE is rock solid. My concept is to keep the amount of changes to a minimum. If my MBE goes haywire during the upgrade then my dvr is completely down.

When I tested installing R6 on a pc similar to my MBE I had lots of issues getting X up and running. X has always been my nemesis so I'd rather not throw in too many variables.

Thanks, -Abs

Abby

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 7:51 pm 
In case this can be helpful to someone else, the solution was to muck around with these options.

Option "XvmcUsesTextures" "false"
Option "UseEvents" "true"
Option "NVAGP" "1"
Option "Composite" "Disabled"

Thanks, -abs

Abby

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 1:58 pm 
Abby

Glad to see you found the fix for your Xorg issue :wink:
Now that you have a good handle on your specific Xorg crankiness, why not backup your system and Xorg and try the upgrade to R6.01. I upgraded five moths ago and have no regrets. My system is just as stable now as before, I'm conservative. Plus, for me Apt-get was broken but Pacman works fine. If it does not work to your satisfaction you can always roll back to R5.5. All you need is a little time to try it out.