View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2004 6:48 pm 
From the Hints and Tips forum:
Quote:
I've been having a problem with aumix that I was unable to find a solution to on this forum.

I have since figured out how to resolve the issue, and thought I would post this information for other newbies (such as myself) to use in the future.

I use a PVR-350 and patch the tv audio through my soundcard's line in, so that music and TV come out the same place. For some reason, aumix kept loading the wrong mixer settings at boot-up. I was able to load the settings by pressing "L" in the application, but they always came up with the wrong values by default. I put aumixrc in the propper place and everything, but my rc file did not seem to be loading.

I finally figured out that the file /etc/init.d/Sound was loading some settings by default INSTEAD of from /etc/aumixrc. To fix this, I simply changed the following line in Sound
ARGS="-v 70 -l 0 -l R -w 70 -m 0"
to read
ARGS="-L"

Aumix now comes up with the right settings at boot.
Hope that helps someone.

I'm having the same problem. Running aumix and pressing "L" loads my settings, but I can't get them to load on startup, or something else is overriding my settings.

I'm using R4V4 and tried what you suggested, but it doesn't work.

Any suggestions on how to figure out why?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2004 6:51 pm 
Search the forum.

When the source is open, the possibilities are endless!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2004 7:12 pm 
Quote:
Search the forum

I'm starting to remember why I left the Linux world. What is it about Linux that makes everyone so unfriendly. You used to be helpful and pleasant. Now you sound just like Isaac at MythTV-users, which is definitely the most unfriendly mailing list in history. I guess Linux is still only for the programmers and experts.

I'm sorry if my newness irritates you, and perhaps you can't remember a time when Linux was all new to you so I'll remind you - It's REALLY frigging hard to figure out, and we newbies need a little extra help.

After all, I thought KnoppMyth was DESIGNED for newbies. If we all knew Linux inside out we'd just compile it from the CVS.

I searched the forums, and as far as I can tell, there is no other message about saving settings in aumix. Some postings about alsamixer, but you in many postings you keep suggesting to use aumix.

If you don't have an answer, then maybe someone else does who's not so irritated about answering the same question again. It sounds like you could use a holiday anyway.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2004 7:36 pm 
Well i had the exact problem... the short answer is

apt-get update
apt-get install alsa-base
(it will error)
you then need to do a dkpg -i --force-overwrite the name of the file it errors on. ( i dont remember the exact command its in the forum.)

On the more important note, linux can be frustrating.. I relate with that, however cesman and others provide a service free of charge, He would help if this hadnt been Well covered. basicly just relize that all the newbies are in the same boat learning, and tone down the attitude. good rule to live by.. DOnt bite the hand that feeds you. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2004 8:08 pm 
Unfriendly?! I bust my ass trying to make KnoppMyth the best I can. Do you know how much of my personal time spend learn how to make things easier for the users of KnoppMyth? Do you know how much of my time I spend reading man pages, forums and docs? Do you know how much time I spend compiling and recompiling things? When I state search the forum that is because the answer is already on the forum. KnoppMyth wasn't designed for the "newbie", it was designed to setup a set-top box/PVR in the quickest/easiest/best possible manner.

Newbies don't irrate me. What irrates me is that I work damn hard on KnoppMyth. When I ask something as simply as 'Don't post in KnoppMyth -> Installation, if your problem isn't related to installing KnoppMyth.' Yet people still do... Someone will post a problem with little or no details, yet expect a magic answer. That irrates me.

I'm so close to an R5 alpha I can taste. If I don't have time to track down an answer that has been posted on the forum for you, then I'm sorry.

If you don't like KnoppMyth don't use it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2004 3:21 am 
Mr.X wrote:
It sounds like you could use a holiday anyway.
If I came to Canada, would you join me for a Labatt's?! :)

When the source is open, the possibilities are endless!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2004 3:33 am 
Quote:
which is definitely the most unfriendly mailing list in history

you haven't been on many linux mailing lists have you. You want to see unfriendly, just hop on over to the debian irc channel and ask a question.

Xsecrets

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2004 8:08 am 
Quote:
If I came to Canada, would you join me for a Labatt's?!
Ok, NOW we're talking. I love the USA, but there's nothing like a good Canadian Beer. =)

Thank you for all your hard work on KnoppMyth. I spent months trying to get Myth working last time and your efforts make it all that much less painful and have saved me a ton of time. My apologies for my rudeness - I let my frustrations get the better of me and you don't deserve it.

Keep up the good work! I'll figure this mixer thing out somehow. More than just fixing it, I want to understand what's happening on bootup, so I probably have some digging to do.

Thanks again!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2004 8:30 am 
Quote:
I'll figure this mixer thing out somehow. More than just fixing it, I want to understand what's happening on bootup, so I probably have some digging to do.

start digging here,
Quote:
apt-get update
apt-get install alsa-base
(it will error)
you then need to do a dkpg -i --force-overwrite the name of the file it errors on. ( i dont remember the exact command its in the forum.)

you wont have to dig that far. :wink:

Cesman. I know you hear it ALOT, but thanks, 3 months ago i couldnt even know a command to list file, from a prompt. i am now officaly dangreous with my knowledge! :twisted: All of it was due to your help and distro..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2004 9:29 am 
Thanks!

Isn't that all for if I want to use the alsactl store command? That may very well work, but I'd like to know why aumix won't recall it's settings on bootup.

-Andy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2004 12:49 pm 
the version of alsa on ver R4V4.1 is older, and something doesnt work quite right with saving settings. So IMHO the best solution is to say screw it, and get the newer version of alsa (hence my directions posted above). When you install the newer version of alsa, saving settings works in aumix and alsamixer. even on reboot.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2004 9:29 pm 
Mr.X wrote:
I'm starting to remember why I left the Linux world. What is it about Linux that makes everyone so unfriendly. You used to be helpful and pleasant. Now you sound just like Isaac at MythTV-users, which is definitely the most unfriendly mailing list in history. I guess Linux is still only for the programmers and experts.

I meant to respond to this earlier but got interupted.

Cesman clearly doesn't need any help defending himself but I still feel it's important to stand up and be counted. This fourm/BBS/list/.../whatever, has an incredibly friendly and helpful group of folks, led by our good host, who generally will go far out of their way to answer questions or help figure things out. I've benefited repeatedly from their kindness myself, and try to follow that good example in turn.

However, what gets impatient responses (and deservedly so) are people who are clearly either too lazy or lack the manners to put in a good faith effort to help themselves by SEARCHING THE FORUM. The man is a public benefactor and you're giving him **** about telling you to RTF that he has provided at considerable personal effort? PULL YOU HEAD OUT AND GET A CLUE AND MAYBE SOME MANNERS!

Cesman - I apologize for being so rude in your forum, but people like this infuriate me.