View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 9:01 pm 
Short version: I have an Ubuntu boot partition mounted in LinHES and it's /dev/core file is taking up 90% of the partition but it's not a real file it's a symlink?

Long Winded version: I am trying to track down why I'm getting an xymon error that my hard disk is full. The disk in question (sdb) has three partitions the first (sdb1) is an Ubuntu installation that I dual boot into every once and a while. The second is a swap that isn't mounted and the third (sdb3) is a media partition.
sdb1 is reading as full in xymon and
Code:
System Alerts:
--------------
    disk on gimli YELLOW for 4 days, 22 hours, 6 minutes, 40 seconds

Go to http://gimli and click Health & Maintenance for more information.
[mythtv@gimli ~]$ df -h
Filesystem      Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/sda1        23G  3.7G   18G  18% /
dev             1.9G     0  1.9G   0% /dev
run             2.0G  512K  2.0G   1% /run
shm             2.0G   20M  2.0G   1% /dev/shm
/dev/sda7       428G  231G  197G  55% /data/storage/disk0
/dev/sda5       9.1G  3.8G  4.9G  44% /home
/dev/sda6       1.9G  333M  1.4G  20% /data/srv/mysql
/dev/sdb1        20G   17G  1.8G  91% /data/storage/WDCWD8000AARS-00Y5B1_WD-WCAV59532307
/dev/sdb3       713G  487G  190G  72% /data/storage/disk3
[mythtv@gimli ~]$

I poked around using terminal and came up empty so I mounted it as a Samba drive so that I could use "Space Monger" from windows on it. It revealed that
/data/storage/WDCWD8000AARS-00Y5B1_WD-WCAV59532307/dev/core was a 13.5 gb file and it was eating up most of the 20 gb partition.
So I examine the directory in question and I see that /data/storage/WDCWD8000AARS-00Y5B1_WD-WCAV59532307/dev/core is a symlink to /proc/kcore
Code:
 ls -lh core
lrwxrwxrwx 1 mythtv mythtv 11 Oct 13  2012 core -> /proc/kcore

This is a different file/link than my /dev/core

What the hell did I do? and how do I fix it?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 7:19 pm 
I don't think you can fix it.

The Ubuntu installation must use that symlink for it's own purposes, but since every Linux installation has a /proc filesystem, that symlink just happens to point to the /proc/kcore file on your LinHES installation. You could delete the symlink from the /dev/sdb1 filesystem but you would probably break Ubuntu.

Is there any way to tell Xymon not to follow symlinks when calculating disk space? If it uses du in it's data gathering scripts, add the -x parameter to the du command in the scripts.

FYI, if you don't already know, /proc/kcore is basically the contents of the PC's RAM represented as a file and it will always be the size of the installed memory.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 7:42 pm 
Yeah thanks Arnie. After I wrote this post I thought about the situation more and realized the last time tried to boo the Ubuntu partition it was complaining about no hard drive space.
Plus it's like over a year out of date so it needs some significant updates I might just unmount the partition and reinstall Ubuntu.
The part I don't get is that I only have like 4 gb of ram on my LinHES box how did it get to be soooo huge I wonder?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 9:17 pm 
Just in case anyone else comes across this post I deleted the symlink and it wasn't filling the drive at all it just looked that way. I set up this partition as a secondary backup directory and it has filled the drive with half gig backups.
Now to figure out why my system_backups are so big.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 9:35 pm 
FOUND IT!!!!
System backups were huge because my home directory was bloated. I deleted some things so now it should be much more manageable.
When I upgraded Kodi I made a backup of the /home/mythtv/.Kodi/ directory. It was almost half a gig by itself. My backup went from 659 MB to 159 MB.