View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Go to page 1, 2  Next

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 5:06 pm 
this is a problem i have probably had 5-6 times by now (so yes ive reinstalled knoppmyth 5-6 times), but it is starting to wear on me....it seems without fail that if for any reason (power shortage, mythttv crash) my system gets rebooted without being properly shutdown, it doesnt start back up, i get the whole unexpected inconsistency run fsck manually stuff, which ive looked up online seems to be a fairly commeon filesystem corruption in linux, i couldnt find any instances of anyone w/knoppmyth having it happen....well ive tried running fsck manually and that doesnt work, something about a superblock....anyways is it just me...of course i always try to shut my system down properly but it seems like once every 3-4 months SOMETHING happens and its getting rather tiring to re-install knoppmyth, re-set up my remote, put my tv preferences back....etc...etc
is there anything i can do? (obviously besides making sure i shut down properly....why doesnt this happen to anyone else?)

thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 5:26 pm 
Are you using EXT3 filsystem type? A journalling file system is supposed to help in cases like this.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 5:29 pm 
forgive my linux incompetence....how would i check that? and also if im not how would i do that in the future?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 5:43 pm 
If you dont know that then I assume that you have done an r4v5 autoinstall in which case, you should be using ext3.

Type mount and is should tell you the file system type of all mounted filesystems. I think /cache is ext2 and everything else is ext3 by default.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 6:12 pm 
mount isnt even working....yea i did do an autoinstall...im stumped

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 6:23 pm 
Not sure what is going on with your system, I can assure you I've had mine crash for numerous reasons over the last year or so and I've never had it irreversibly corrupt the file system.

Xsecrets

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 11:02 pm 
weird...maybe i should do like a low-level format and start from scratch so to speak

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 12:18 am 
I think you may have a hard disk problem. Disks are cheap enough, get a new one before reinstalling. At least load the smartmontools package and find out what it says about your disk. Or download the software from your disk maker and hook it to a Windoze machine to analyze it. Your experience with disk corruption is not typical.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 5:05 am 
i guess thats possible...would this smartmontools package tell me if i have a hardware error? it is a fairly new, 160 gb drive only about 2 years old
however as google reveals http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=un ... k+manually it seems to be a somewhat commonly occuring linux problem

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 8:51 pm 
The smartmontools package lets you interrogate the drive's internal registers for indications of impending failure. The S.M.A.R.T. spec was introduced a number of years ago, and almost all large drives currently sold support it. FWIW I've replaced three large disks so far this year, one with only 9 months use (but out of its 1-year warranty period, of course).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 10:39 pm 
Just to lend support for the OP. I have had this same issue with complete corruption of the file system. It has happened twice to me. The HD is a maxtor 160 GB drive and it is only about 3 months old. I have never had a HD die on me at such a young age, but it is possible.

Although I have done a hard reboot without the shutdown several times. It seems to really happen when I have to do a hard boot when the live tv locks and I can't ssh into the box for a reboot. Unfortunately, the box is networked wirelessly.

I plan on rebuilding this weekend. Would it be better to pick a different file system then the autobuild (ext3)?

Mark

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 2:58 am 
I changed to XFS for my /myth partition, but that was for very specific reasons. I record HDTV and the size of the files it creates are gargantuan. A one-hour show is 6-8G bytes and a football game is 20G or more. When you delete a large file from ext3 or similar, it takes *forever*. With XFS it's nearly instantaneous.

I also opted for LVM so I can add disk space to Myth at any time. Big disks keep getting cheaper. I picked up four more 300G disks for $150/ea. in the last couple of weeks. Five-year warranty, too! Gotta love those Seagates.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 7:33 am 
Well I to run XFS on my /myth partition, and my /cache partition as well, but neither of those partitions really matter as far as booting, so complete file system corruption on them wouldn't keep you from booting.

Xsecrets

Post subject: Manual Install
PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2005 3:55 am 
I did a manual install after complete file system corruption, but it didn't automagically mount the other two partitions created from the auto install. Can someone tell me what the mount points should be for /dev/hda3 and /dev/hda4 and what file I should edit to have them mounted during boot?

Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2005 12:40 pm 
Here's my /etc/fstab. The first three non-comment lines are what you're looking for. Since you probably don't have a second disk mounted as /mtth/tv you can ignore the last two lines, the rest is pretty vanilla.
Code:
root@black:~ # cat /etc/fstab
# /etc/fstab: filesystem table.
#
# filesystem  mountpoint  type  options  dump  pass
/dev/hda1  /  ext3 defaults,errors=remount-ro  0  1
/dev/hda3  /cache  auto  defaults,auto  0  2
/dev/hda4  /myth  auto  defaults,auto  0  2

proc  /proc  proc  defaults  0  0
/dev/fd0  /floppy  vfat  defaults,user,noauto,showexec,umask=022  0  0
/dev/cdrom /cdrom  iso9660  defaults,ro,user,noexec,noauto  0  0
/dev/dvd /dvd  iso9660  defaults,ro,user,noexec,noauto  0  0