View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
 Post subject: Wireless Lan
PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 8:49 pm 
G'day,

Can anyone tell me which wireless lan adapter I should be using with Knoppmyth.

Sorry if this has been covered over and over, but I couldn't seem to find a relevant post here or in the wiki.

Matt

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 12:56 pm 
Linksys Wireless-G Game Adapter, use your existing (or cheap) Ethernet card. I chose this over adding drivers, etc. for other options. If you're going for less expensive and don't care about speed there is also a B version.

http://www.linksys.com/products/product ... 6&prid=558

-Lane

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 9:26 pm 
I installed an generic Airlink wireless nic from Fry's that was onsale. It was a Airlink AWLH4030 108Mbps Wireless-G PCI . It uses an Atheros chipset.

I did search for a post here and found someone that had installed an atheros chipset NIC. He used some drivers from a Mad Wifi group that has a website with good instructions.

The wireless NIC works flawlessly with my 54Mbps D-link router. I did not use any of the security/encrypting features though.

Here is the link I used:
http://mysettopbox.tv/phpBB2/viewtopic. ... ht=madwifi

I did not set a static IP though. I just replaced the eth0 string with ath0 in the etc/network/interfaces file.

768 meg sdram partial install on Nuv2disc
120 g maxtor HD
PVR 250 Video Capture card

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 11:46 pm 
Thanks guys,

I think I am going to try the Dlink 520+ which uses athe awc100?? chip.There seems to be quite a lot of evidence of this working for various people. I'll give it a go anyway, someone else is funding the card so it may be a good guinea pig. :)

Matt

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 9:23 pm 
G'day

I bought a Netgear wg311, beause I thought I'd be able to use the Madwifi drivers with the Atheros chipset.

It ended up the one I bought was a WG311 ver 2 which has a Texas Instruments chipset. I managed to get it working using ndsiwrapper and the instructions found on this Forum for ndiswrapper.

http://mysettopbox.tv/phpBB2/viewtopic. ... diswrapper

This is a pretty awesome forum BTW. Thanks TMB

Matt

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 11:31 pm 
Buy a Linksys WRT54G for $50 after rebate from BestBuy. Add Sveasoft 3rd party software, convert to client mode (be sure to use a different subnet on the WRT54G) and you end up with a 4-port bridge that supports WPA encryption.

It's comparable in functionality to that linksys gaming adapter previous mentioned, but going th WRT54G route gives you 3 extra ports and the extra security at ~$40 cheaper.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 12:06 pm 
I tried two different wireless cards and couldn't get either to work, even after using ndiswrapper and using their kernel (which I found to be pretty unstable)

I definitely recommend going the Linksys wireless gaming adapter route, it's much easier. I had one lying around that I used for my PS2. After getting some help from Lane (see above) I was able to set it up on Win2k. Then you can just plug it in to your linux box's nic card.

If you go the wireless B route don't download the setup software from the Linksys site, you need to use the CD software that it comes with, because the Linksys download is missing a dll file that you need.