View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
 Post subject: Bug fixed in 5.5?
PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 7:45 pm 
The current release has a problem with LIRC locking up with some IR receivers (mine is a USB unit) and failing to respond to the remote. I'd re-compiled according to the instructions in another post, but the person suggesting the fix said the bug had supposedly been fixed in the current release. Has this been addressed in the upcoming 5.5?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 8:39 pm 
I never had the problem with 27, but it has cropped up with the newest Mythbuntu. I'm working with the Streamzap receiver. As soon as 5.5 is out, I'll see how it goes. In my case, I think something got busted in the included version of lirc. I'd recompile, but with 5.5 being imminent, and Mythbuntu being so top-heavy in any case (I always test the newest doras and buntus in between KnoppMyth upgrades) it just isn't worth my time.

I am disappointed that the Linux kernel included with buntu (and, most likely, the upcoming 5.5) still does not support my Samsung external DVD drive. Oh, well. KnoppMyth is still the best on the block.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 6:09 am 
Sorry for pulling the thread off-topic, but what does the kernel need to support your external DVD? can't you just install the module?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 1:53 pm 
Site Admin
quickfics wrote:
I am disappointed that the Linux kernel included with buntu (and, most likely, the upcoming 5.5) still does not support my Samsung external DVD drive. Oh, well. KnoppMyth is still the best on the block.
I'd appreciate it if you don't compare the kernel I sweat, bleed and cry over to the Ubuntu kernel. Ubuntu has 5 paid developers that produce their kernel. I get the source from kernel.org, patch it with a few goodies, configure it in the best possible manner to support as much hardware and get a kernel that is geared towards a PVR. If you take a look at the R6 feature request for instance, you'll see that some kernel related items are already in R5.5. If the kernel is lacking something and there is a patch available or the configuration is lacking in someway, I need you to bring it to my attention. If the issue is with the kernel in general, then there is nothing I can do about that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 11:59 pm 
As to the original problem I am currently using a test release and I have the problem with my USB receiver failing to respond to the remote. I have had this problem with previous versions as well. Whilst the problem is rare on the odd occassion I do have the problem, when convenient I simply force restart the X server and all is good.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 9:14 am 
I thought I had this problem too, but each time I logged in to restart X from a putty session it seems the Xorg was causing my system to run at 100%. Not sure if this will help/hurt anyones cause just throwing it out there.

Memo - Corsair VS512MB533D2 512MB DDR2-533
Hard D - Hitachi T7K500 250GB Serial ATA
Wireless - Netgear wg311
Tuner Card - PVR-150

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 10:48 am 
Could you guys please post your hardware details?

I have about given up on an IR USB tranceiver I got from
Iguanaworks (although I noticed recently that they replied
to an old email and thus that there is still hope).

I'd like to know what other USB hardware causes problems.

Cliff

Older dual core 3.4ghz Intel CPU
Asus P5PE-VM Motherboard
2 GB RAM
1 TB LVM2
VirtualBox
Samba

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 1:21 am 
cecil wrote:
I'd appreciate it if you don't compare the kernel I sweat, bleed and cry over to the Ubuntu kernel. Ubuntu has 5 paid developers that produce their kernel. I get the source from kernel.org, patch it with a few goodies, configure it in the best possible manner to support as much hardware and get a kernel that is geared towards a PVR. If you take a look at the R6 feature request for instance, you'll see that some kernel related items are already in R5.5. If the kernel is lacking something and there is a patch available or the configuration is lacking in someway, I need you to bring it to my attention. If the issue is with the kernel in general, then there is nothing I can do about that.

Of course I am not disparaging your work in any way, Cecil. To my thinking, KM is the best free software ever, and nearly the best all-around software, period. My comment certainly was not pointed in anybody's direction other than Samsung's and my Windows-centric external DVD burner (and, especially, the stupid, badly translated, Windows-only firmware updater that keeps telling me that my burner is perfect in every way, and I must be doing something wrong, like using it as a Spirograph or a rotary sander). The burner isn't even anything I really need. Just a convenience. My original idea was to have just the IR receiver and the burner in my entertainment center, and keep my backend and frontend computers in the closet. As it stands now -- and it's something I can live with -- if I want to rip anything, I have to walk four feet to the closet, open the door, and use the internal DVD burner. As for solutions, believe me, I have looked everywhere. The drive is from Samsung and the enclosure is I/O Magic. I'm starting to think it may be the enclosure, because since my original post I've put other drives in the enclosure, and they all act the same way. Maybe that's why they call it I/O Magic: because if you get any input or output, it's a genuine miracle.

As for all the custom work you've done to your kernel, all I can say is no system installation has ever gone as smoothly for me as 27. This is coming from somebody who has, as I mentioned previously, installed Mythbuntu, Mythdora, a dozen non-Myth flavored Linux desktops, all Windows versions since 3.1, and a half-dozen OS X installs.

As for the USB IR receiver. Don't know what the heck is going on with it. It's been stable for the last few days. Can't imagine it's fixed itself, because things like that just don't happen. I'll post more details if and when it happens again.