View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
 Post subject: This is my dilemma…
PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2004 11:41 pm 
My problem is that I don’t have funds to pay for monthly cable but I like a few shows that are only on cable.
I could ask my friends or family to record those shows and pick up a tape once a week, not the best way.
A better way... I’m thinking is to set up a MythTV Box at my parent’s house who have cable TV and DSL.

My question knowing this is what I’m trying to do, how do I remotely tell the box to record a certain show?

And secondly once the show is recorded, does it save to a format that I can just transfer over and watch?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2004 11:54 pm 
1. To remotly tell the box what to record you can setup the MythWeb, which you can access with your web browser to check shows, set them to record, see what has been recorded, and delete the recordings.

2. After you have recorded the show, you can run nuvexport, and either export or transcode to another format, this depends on if you setup to automatically transcode. I don't auto transcode, so after its recorded i just run nuvexport and select "Transcode to VCD", which will make an mpeg file from the .nuv. This is a manual process. If you have the PVR-250/350, you can encode it to mpeg2 i believe, then just rename the .nuv files to .mpg
I'm not completely sure on this, I have seen a post about it. Can anyone else verify this?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2004 11:58 pm 
Wow... what a quick response. Thank you.

turkish wrote:
1. To remotly tell the box what to record you can setup the MythWeb, which you can access with your web browser to check shows, set them to record, see what has been recorded, and delete the recordings.

2. After you have recorded the show, you can run nuvexport, and either export or transcode to another format, this depends on if you setup to automatically transcode. I don't auto transcode, so after its recorded i just run nuvexport and select "Transcode to VCD", which will make an mpeg file from the .nuv. This is a manual process. If you have the PVR-250/350, you can encode it to mpeg2 i believe, then just rename the .nuv files to .mpg
I'm not completely sure on this, I have seen a post about it. Can anyone else verify this?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 12:14 am 
Your welcome, I'm just at work, so I browse the forums alot hehe

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 1:07 am 
I can verify if you have a pvr250/350 the files are recorded as mpeg2 files and you can just change the extention to mpg or mpeg and view them in your favorite video player.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 2:27 am 
excellent, thanks
I thought I saw that some where

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2004 7:56 pm 
How about divx encoding? Can Mythtv or nuvexport record or convert the recorded video to divx format?

I am preparing to setup a box with pvr250 and is learning a lot from this forum. Many thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2004 7:57 pm 
nuxexport can transcode to divx.

When the source is open, the possibilities are endless!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2004 7:59 pm 
mythtv itself can only record mpeg2(hardware like pvr card) or RTJPEG or MPEG4. The RTJPEG and MPEG4 are proprietary and can only be read by mythtv, and an mplayer plugin that I know of.

nuvexport will export to divx xvid vcd and a couple of others.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2004 1:04 am 
Great! Thanks for the quick reply.