View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 110 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2003 9:14 am 
Presonaly I'd like to see the Preemptible and O_STREAMING patches added to the kernels.

Both of these can boost system response and performance. Preemptible boosts responsiveness right out of the box. O_STREAMING would require support from MythTV and it's plugins (Some patches have already been sent in, others are on the way).

You can find the patches / info at: http://www.tech9.net/rml/linux/

They have no dependencies.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2003 1:37 pm 
Site Admin
Thats a good idea. cesman, you want to put that on yourTODO list?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2003 2:32 pm 
Already on there. O_STREAMING is a new one and has been added as well.

When the source is open, the possibilities are endless!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2003 4:16 pm 
Just so I'm clear... The R5 installed kernel will have both of these applied?

Also, would it be possible to provide an option for /myth to be an LVM partition? Or make it one by default? This way extending the storage space becomes a breeze. I've not mucked around with the installer yet to even see if it's possible with the R4 version so if it is, forgive my ignorance please.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2003 6:34 pm 
It will have them depending on hard it is to make the kernel w/ them(errors, etcs.) It is already an option to make /myth part of an LVM partition. LVM is installed, just not configured. I'd say thats an option! ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2003 11:54 am 
I'm having sound problems and really could use the aplay program for testing purposes. I haven't been able to find it, but it might be helpful for others with sound problems.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2003 9:19 am 
ok since kernel 2.6.0 has been released could we get that in R5? It has preemt built in, and has support for the nolapic switch which seems to be causing several people problems. Not sure about the Ostreaming stuff.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2003 6:17 pm 
Xsecrets wrote:
I'll second the default lirc config for mplayer. I posted a sample config in one of the treads. Of course you will probably want a more complete setup and may not like the buttons I used, but It should be and easy include as you just have to make some modifications to /home/mythtv/.lircrc

Since mplayer does not have dvdnav (ability to access the DVD's menus) functionality see this url. I'd like to see a default lirc config for ogle. Others?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2003 7:41 pm 
Nothing against Ogle, MPlayer is my player of choice. I'm not going to install Ogle just to create an lircrc for it. If you'd like it included, send me one and I'll do so. This goes the same for Samba or any other program or daemon. Folks have asked about including a default configuration, then go on to set it up themselves.... How about sending in to me or post it somewhere for peer review?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2003 2:27 pm 
Any idea on when R5 will be ready for all of us anxiously waiting?

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2003 10:31 pm 
Nice work Knoppmyth is awsome!

A feature I would like to see when booting from the CD is if the ~/.mythtv/mysql.txt file already exists (in a persistent home drive) the startup script bypasses all the configuration questions.

This feature would be useful when booting a frontend with a USB memory stick and persistent home dir if you have already setup all the frontend options.

I boot my frontends from a USB memory stick and then mount the Knoppmyth cloop file from an NFS share, so it would be nice if I didn't have to modify the cloop image every time there is a new release. It would also make it easier to run multiple frontends from one shared cloop file.

I haven't done much programming lately, but I'm a quick study so if you give me a hint on how the start up process works and where the script is that does the setup I can have a look at it myself and submit my proposed changes.

Thanks,
Adrian.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2003 11:12 pm 
How about an option in the installer to specify which Myth modules to install. It would save us the hassle of uninstalling modules we don't need, ie Myth Gallery.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2003 2:03 pm 
1. A small application suite with some simple applications (web browser, mail, file manager, editor, etc) because MythTV requires some configuration work (at least for me). DamnSmallLinux does this while conserving space (no Mozilla, OOo, etc). Possibly reuse the window manager and add MythTV to the menu?

2. http://damnsmalllinux.org/

3. I don't think dsl would cause more dependencies because it is based on Knoppix as well and at least *some* of the 50Meg size would be duplicate of what is already in KnoppMyth, thus the overall increase in size would be 100% addition of useful programs vs. overhead stuff.

I like KnoppMyth and keep up the good work! Please take this as a well meaning constructive suggestion only.

Thanks!

Andrew Lynch

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2003 2:08 pm 
well just wait around a bit and all that will be built into mythtv LOL. The 0.13 version already includes a browser.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2003 4:25 pm 
lynchaj wrote:
1. A small application suite with some simple applications (web browser, mail, file manager, editor, etc) because MythTV requires some configuration work (at least for me). DamnSmallLinux does this while conserving space (no Mozilla, OOo, etc). Possibly reuse the window manager and add MythTV to the menu?
MythBrowse at best...
lynchaj wrote:
DSL is nice!
lynchaj wrote:
3. I don't think dsl would cause more dependencies because it is based on Knoppix as well and at least *some* of the 50Meg size would be duplicate of what is already in KnoppMyth, thus the overall increase in size would be 100% addition of useful programs vs. overhead stuff.

Read the part about X on the site...DSL includes some items I personally don't think makes sense on a set-top box. Of course you free to add whatever app you choose to to the KnoppMyth base. Dale and I are working on making KnoppMyth smaller.
lynchaj wrote:
I like KnoppMyth and keep up the good work! Please take this as a well meaning constructive suggestion only.

Thanks! Taken as such.
lynchaj wrote:
Thanks!

Andrew Lynch

You're welcome,

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 110 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next