View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
 Post subject: R5E50 loses kbd input
PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 5:04 pm 
Hi all. I'm having a major problem with losing keyboard input having installed yesterday. It's also hanging when I attempt to ssh. However, remote vnc works fine, and accepts keyboard commands, even though it won't accept them locally. Nothing else seems affected.
I conclude that it's vnc that's causing the problem, but after trawling the lists, I can't find anyone else with the same problem. After installing the same version on my father-in-law's machine, he's also having the problem.

If there's no easy solution, I'll have to get rid of vnc and going the gdm option. It's a major concern for me, and basically makes the system unusable.

Does anyone have any idea why this happens and/or how to fix it?

Mike

ps I think the problem could be that my remote is the twinhan one. It's input as a keyboard and I think the vnc has a problem with two kbd inputs

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 3:13 am 
Hi again all. Well, seems no-one else has ever had this problem.

After a bit of googling (quite a bit: hard to find), there's a bug in xorg starting from 6.8 where a USB keyboard causes this problem. It seems to only be with the official nvidia drivers.
The solution is to not use a USB keyboard. The Twinhan remote counts as one, too, so I had to get rid of it.

Problem seems to have gone so far.

Mike

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 11:45 am 
I just got a USB keyboard, has a built-in trackball and RF remote. I was very excited about because when I plugged it in it worked flawlessly, then the machine hanged - literally ground to a halt. I was pressing the "P" button on the keyboard to pause and play a show, and the computer just stopped cold.

Hit the restart button, computer booted up again, and the trackball worked, but none of the buttons or keys worked. Several reboots later it was still the same, only the trackball worked. I kept rebooting, and every once in a while the keys would work for a while then the computer would freeze completely.

I also have an Nvidia card. Any help would be greatly appreciated, my MythBox is in an entertainment center and my only hope of having the wife buy into this thing is with a remote keyboard. Thanks

Steve

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 12:54 pm 
These IR/PS2 models are both inexpensive and known to work well and reliably: http://mysettopbox.tv/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=13924

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 1:41 pm 
Thanks for the link, I should've checked here first instead of ebay.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 5:39 pm 
mogator88 wrote:
I just got a USB keyboard, has a built-in trackball and RF remote. I was very excited about because when I plugged it in it worked flawlessly, then the machine hanged - literally ground to a halt. I was pressing the "P" button on the keyboard to pause and play a show, and the computer just stopped cold.
<snip>
Steve

I've had this problem now for months, and this is what I've determined:
1. It's a USB thing. The last messages before hanging are always "USB Disconnect"
2. Even with all other USB devices replaced, it still happens because if the DVICO dual's second tuner is to work, USB must be connected.
3. It seems to have something to do with the USB device either crashing or "sleeping" and not waking up. Although it's unlikely to go to sleep (other than the big sleep) since it's done it while recording a show. It simply stopped recording the show, the other two cards (and myth-backend) stayed working fine, and of course keyboard input/ssh died as usual. At least that gives you a chance to choose when to reboot.

So, if you get this problem, get rid of everything USB. If you are buying a dual card, go for a PCI-E (if you can find a supported one) as all PCI dual cards use USB for one of the tuners.

It's a long shot, but is it possible that this has anything at all to do with the startup message about suspend2?

Mike

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 7:28 pm 
manicmike wrote:
1. It's a USB thing.

Somewhere along the line, I was warned:
a) Stick with proven hardware
b) avoid USB keyboards
c) avoid VIA chipset mobo
d) avoid SATA as the main drive (since lifted with R5E50)