View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
 Post subject: Mythtv wakeup
PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 6:16 am 
Hi, I was wondering whether the following is possible:

When I finish watching tv I can click power off and the pc will enter s3 standby.
When I want to watch tv again or use the box I press the power button on my pc and it wakes up from standby and immediately resumes what it was last doing (i.e. immediately display the main menu etc)
If I have a program to record already set up and the box is in standby it will automatically wake-up at the right time and start recording and then when it has finished it will re-enter standby again.

I've read here:
http://www.knoppmythwiki.org/index.php? ... upToRecord
and here:
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/ACPI_Wakeup

That it is possible (I have a compaq evo d510 which supports acpi). But I have no idea what command to enter to make the box goto sleep in s3?!

As I understand it: when mythtv shuts down it saves a command with a time into a wakeup file (I read /proc/acpi/alarm), then it enters standby and the machine wakeups up when it reaches that time. I think this command can be changed in mythtv setup. I will also need mythwelcome to switch it off again later.

Please could someone explain how they've done something similar 'cause I'm a litte lost as to where to begin!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 8:05 am 
When myth chooses what time to wake up, does it only wake up for Recording times or is it smart enough to also wake up to run mythfilldatabase?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 1:22 pm 
Site Admin
From what I'm aware, it isn't smart enough, but it does get ran.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 5:57 am 
It doesn't wake up. Devs haven't had time to implement this, yet.

http://svn.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/1815

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 10:04 am 
I have been using MythWelcome for close to a year before I upgraded (last night) to R5F27. I will probably set it back up after I figure out my issues with my remote control and missing kernel headers, but that's beside the point.

On my machine, this is how it would work. When you exit MythFrontend, it will go back to MythWelcome. Essentially, MythWelcome is like a front-end to MythFrontend. If it detects that myth is idle, it will shut down (not standby) the PC and tell the BIOS to wake up 5 minutes before the next scheduled recording. At that time, the PC boots itself up into MythWelcome.

So, whenever you're not using Myth, just exit and it'll go back to MythWelcome. If it's idle, the PC will shutdown until it's needed. If you want to watch something, just turn on the PC. Actually, that's the worst part, because you can't do it with the remote control. If the PC is already running (like it's currently recording something), then you turn on the TV/monitor and you'll see MythWelcome. Just hit enter/select and it'll run MythFrontend.

At first I had some small snag with mythfilldatabase, but I don't recall what the deal was. I think that I just let myth schedule it and it worked fine.

It's a bit weird to set up nvram-wakeup the first time, but just go through the instructions and it works fine. It makes you manually set up the BIOS wakeup for specific times so that it can find the nvram values. Each time you do it, you have to reboot the PC. It's odd, but it works.

Here are a couple more links. I know I've read all of them, but I don't recall which one I actually used.

I think this is the one I used.
http://www.knoppmythwiki.org/index.php?page=WakeupToRecordWithMythWelcome

Also worth reading.
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Mythwelcome

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 11:14 am 
Thanks for this.

Does anyone know what command to enter to get the computer to enter S3 standby?

[I think if I can at least get this working then I'll be able to move on from there.]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 8:06 pm 
Quote:
Does anyone know what command to enter to get the computer to enter S3 standby?

I think what you are looking for is hibernate. Do some searches on hibernate or suspend. From my personal experience, this is tricky to get working. I have the wakeup working with a normal boot, but I have never been able to get hibernate to work with my box. Hopefully, you will have better luck.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 1:30 am 
I don't think it would be easy to get mythwelcome to work with hibernate. The problem is that to get mythwelcome to shut down the machine, one has to exit the frontend. If a hibernate is then done instead of a shutdown, the machine will later wakeup without the frontend running.

I would recommend sticking with a full shutdown. When I last looked into it, hibernate didn't seem to play well with many drivers. From what I read, the startup time saving was not that great either.

As for mythfilldatabase, I have a daily wakup set in mythwelcome. The PC wakes up every day for half an hour and there is a cron job that runs mythwelcome.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 2:43 pm 
What he's asking here (which is also what I'm wondering) is if you can get the BIOS to wakeup the PC from S3 sleep mode, not from shutdown mode. This would result in an almost instantaneous restart which would be much better for watching a recording. But from what I've read I don't think this is possible with Myth due to driver issues, and the only way is a full restart. Given that on a fast box you can boot KM in a little over a minute, it's not that long of a wait.