View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Go to page 1, 2  Next

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
 Post subject: Choppy Video
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 8:35 pm 
I just installed KnoppMyth and I must say, Im thoroughly impressed, I think its wonderful, however, i have a 1.5 GHz and 512 megs of ram with a Hauppauge PVR-350. I forget what the graphics card, i think an ATI Radeon 7000. The video playback is slightly choppy and is rather annoying, is there any way that I can fix it?

Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 11:43 pm 
Site Admin
Giving precise details on your video card would be the first place to start. If it is an Radeon, for best performance, you'll have to install the AMD/ATi drivers. If you do have an Radeon, let me know. I'll provide a link to a newer release that has working ATi drivers. I will expect feedback.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 11:14 pm 
Cecil, I have an Ati Radeon 8500, and have the same problem as r.b. Could you please post he link so I could test if it helps?

MBE&FE: GeForce MX440, Athlon XP 2000+, MSI KT333 Ultra, onboard audio, 512 MB, 2 x Technotrend T1500 DVB-T, LiteOn DVD±RW 16x DW1650-488C, Seagate 250 GB
FE: 1500MHz Geforce MX200-V, int. audio, 256MB

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 11:37 pm 
What type of display device are you using? Is it an interlaced TV or a progressive scan device, such as a monitor, LCD flat panel, etc? Are you using the TV out or VGA connector?

Marc

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 11:56 pm 
Computer monitor and Grand Hand View II VGA/TV Converter for TV out. I never got the proprieritary drivers for Ati's own TV out working with KnoppMyth.

MBE&FE: GeForce MX440, Athlon XP 2000+, MSI KT333 Ultra, onboard audio, 512 MB, 2 x Technotrend T1500 DVB-T, LiteOn DVD±RW 16x DW1650-488C, Seagate 250 GB

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 12:11 am 
When you are using a monitor, it is a progressive scan device and it is very important the you properly deinterlace the video. Improper deinterlacing can cause an occasional "jerky video" effect. Try using the "bob2x" deintelace option and see if it improves. This is very CPU intensive, but it will yield the best result. If you found that you're CPU isn't fast enough to keep up with this, you can try using the libmpeg2 decoder.

These options are set in utilties->setup->TV settings->Playback, first screen.

Marc

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 4:02 am 
Thanks, Marc.

Bob seems to be my new best friend.

I have the libmpeg2 decoder on, because it seems to be faster than the standard one with my hardware (ADM Athlon 2000+, 512M). I'll still have tocheck how bob handles when two tuners are recording and I'm watching something else.

Still, those Ati drivers would be very interesting to try out...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 7:24 am 
Glad to hear that worked. The other deinterlace methods (linear and Kerndeint) will work for some shows, but not others. This is because there are two different types of interlacing techniques. Bob2x will work with both types of interlaced material.

Marc

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 7:35 am 
Sorry I haven't gotten back sooner... it most definitely is a radeon, Im using the VGA output onto a dell monitor (i forget the exact model number). I know that my card has an mpeg encoder built-in... is there something that I have to do to enable it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 8:02 am 
Did you try enabling bob2x deinterlacing, per my earlier post in this thread?

Marc

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 10:44 am 
How would I go about doing that?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 10:58 am 
renegade.black wrote:

I'm not sure if you're asking me this because you didn't see my earlier post on this thread, or if it's because what I wrote didn't make sense to you. It seems to have solved the problem for "auttila". I'll state it again, but if what you're saying is that these instructions don't make sense to you, please say a little more about which part is causing the confusion, and I will try to clarify.

Quote:
When you are using a monitor, it is a progressive scan device and it is very important the you properly deinterlace the video. Improper deinterlacing can cause an occasional "jerky video" effect. Try using the "bob2x" deintelace option and see if it improves. This is very CPU intensive, but it will yield the best result. If you found that you're CPU isn't fast enough to keep up with this, you can try using the libmpeg2 decoder.

Marc

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 8:29 pm 
marc.aronson wrote:
renegade.black wrote:

I'm not sure if you're asking me this because you didn't see my earlier post on this thread, or if it's because what I wrote didn't make sense to you. It seems to have solved the problem for "auttila". I'll state it again, but if what you're saying is that these instructions don't make sense to you, please say a little more about which part is causing the confusion, and I will try to clarify.

Quote:

Marc

I tried doing as you said, however, its still choppy and I should have been more specific in saying that the audio is semi-choppy as well. Is there something that I have to do to enable the on-chip encoder?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 8:33 pm 
renegade.black, I suspect you are asking about the on-board decoder, not encoder. I'm not sure how to use the PVR-350's on-board decoder -- perhaps someone else can help out on this. From the description of your problem, it doesn't sound like it's an interlacing issue...

Marc

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 8:52 pm 
Reasons for chopy video might be whatever. For example I had and old 80 GB hard drive, and it had some problems with DMA. Result: choppy video. Check for "DMA" from the knoppmythwiki.org.

I also had another problem with my onboard AC 97 sound chip. From the settings I turned on aggressive sound management and it helped.

Go to page 1, 2  Next