View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Go to page 1, 2  Next

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 10:54 pm 
Site Admin
Howdy y'all... I know folks are probably wondering what is up w/ KnoppMyth? Where is R6, etc... I'll admit progress on R6 is slower (let's just say life in general has slowed it down) than I'd like, but if I rushed it, it wouldn't be up to par. Then you the community would revolt. ;)

On to the important stuff. R6 is in the hands of testers. Bugs are being reported and tackled. Features are being implemented. What we have now can be installed and will function well for day to day use. You will note, not all the features are there, but the most important (MythTV) is there. Of course, what makes KnoppMyth, KnoppMyth is more than MythTV (although obviously, that is a big part).

SCALE is next month. I will have R6 CDs to hand out at SCALE. Now if you look at the list of exhibitors, you know see KnoppMyth. That is because a name change is in order. I'll post more on this later.

To celebrate R6, I'm building two systems that will be raffled off at SCALE. Member of the community will be able to purchase tickets via Paypal. This will be just like the raffle a few years back. I'll post more on the system specs shortly.

Well, I guess that is about it for now. Much thanks to all for being a part of community. Words cannot state how much I appreciate it.

Cecil

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 8:23 pm 
Well that is exciting news!

For life reasons too I am still on R5F27 further complicated by the need to co-ordinate the upgrade of 5 machines:
master backend - KM running on VMWare on my main server
slave backend - 20.2 running on main server to get access to PCI bus
3+ front ends - KM FE only.

I was just about to move forward to R5.5 but with R6 looming, will I need to get there via R5.5 or will I be able to go directly R5F27 to R6?

Christ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 12:15 am 
christ wrote:
I was just about to move forward to R5.5 but with R6 looming, will I need to get there via R5.5 or will I be able to go directly R5F27 to R6?
Yes. You'll be able to upgrade from any previous version to R6. Of course, depending on the version you are upgrading from, you may mean some manual reconfiguration due to items beyond our control.

When the source is open, the possibilities are endless!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 9:25 pm 
Exciting news indeed!

Knoppmyth is the Centre point of our Home Entertainment for 3 years now, and the 6 Year old motherboard and CPU are starting to show their age. I've been planning and gathering hardware for the R6 release for quite some time now, So my box will get some shiny new 2nd hands parts :D

A big thankyou to Cecil and everyone involved, I'm not sure how I could live without my Beloved Knoppmyth Box now!

Intel Desktop Board
2GB DDR400
nVidia 6600GT
Dvico HDTV+
Dvico Dual 4
200GB WD for Swap /boot & /
2x 500GB WD with LVM & XFS for /myth/tv

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 3:17 pm 
Site Admin
I should note, that perhaps not all of R5.5's features will be in R6 nor will all of the feature requests in the Release 6. However, what will be released will be solid and it will have items to suprise a person or two. ;)

The first release of R6 will not be last release of R6. Other enhancements will be coming! When are is release, our bug tracker will be available to all.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 6:40 pm 
cecil wrote:
I should note, that perhaps not all of R5.5's features will be in R6 nor will all of the feature requests in the Release 6.

The first release of R6 will not be last release of R6. Other enhancements will be coming!

Does that mean that those R5.5 features will be abandoned or that they will be merged in to R6.x?

Or do you mean that R5.5 features which are irrelevant in R6 will be abandoned?

Thanks for the heads up. I love getting little nuggets of info like this :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 11:23 am 
Site Admin
In this first release, any feature that isn't there is probably a result of not having time to implement them. In addition, some features will be abandoned. This maybe due to various reasons. I cannot think of any at the moment. If when this first release is done and a feature is missing, you'll be able to file a bug report.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 1:54 pm 
Can you comment on which kernel is shipping w/ R6? Will Intel Atom processors be supported (2.6.27.x is required for them I believe)?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 2:55 pm 
At this point, it looks like it will be 2.6.27. I have an Atom system (that will be raffle off) and R 5.5 booted fine on it. R6 on it, is working beautifully.

When the source is open, the possibilities are endless!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 3:55 pm 
Very cool, thanks for the info. Looking forward to playing with R6 and reading tjc's R6 hints/tips thread as well!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 5:22 pm 
I've been away for a while so I'm catching back up on things. Is there something special about the atom that makes it unsupported by earlier kernels?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 4:22 pm 
cesman wrote:
At this point, it looks like it will be 2.6.27. I have an Atom system (that will be raffle off) and R 5.5 booted fine on it. R6 on it, is working beautifully.

Can you share the hardware specs for this system, cesman? I have a friend who is interested in building a KM box (er... a LinHES box) once R6 goes gold. The atom is an attractive option given the low price for the all-inclusive board. Anyway, I'd love to see the system specs.

Thanks!

ik632 wrote:
I've been away for a while so I'm catching back up on things. Is there something special about the atom that makes it unsupported by earlier kernels?

I'm not sure, but I have read that 2.6.27 is required to use them. This statement might not be totally accurate, again, this was just something I read.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 3:17 am 
Site Admin
Atomic Ant

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 2:44 pm 
cecil wrote:

Very cool, thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 6:06 am 
Your Atomic Ant got me looking at some of the other mini-ITX boards from Intel. This one give me pause:

http://www.intel.com/products/desktop/m ... erview.htm

Anyone know how the Intel grraphics processors do with MythTv? I am afraid that the answer will be "sucko" but the board look uber cool if the graphics is any good.

(I'm still on the lookout for good FE components for HD video.)

Go to page 1, 2  Next