View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 5:39 pm 
I have finally got around to upgrading my R5F1 to R5.5 (yes I know R6 is just around the corner but I'm slow). I also took the opportunity to change my /myth partition to xfs. It all went very well without any hitches except for the the EPG and the ACPI wake. The ACPI is low priority.

In my previous version I was running Shepherd as my grabber but I am unsure how I get it working after the upgrade.
Do I need to reinstall Shepherd and its dependencies?
Can I get it working by changing my sym link from tv_grab_au? I notice that there are shepherd directories in /usr/bin (I think). Did these come with the upgrade or are they residual from my previous version?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 8:22 pm 
Hi,

Shepherd should be installed in the home directory of the user that runs it. I assume that this is how it was set up for you previously, i.e. it lives in /home/mythtv/.shepherd. If it survived the backup process that occurs when you upgrade all you should have to do is create a new sym link

as root do something like:
ln -s /home/mythtv/.shepherd/applications/shepherd/shepherd /usr/bin/tv_grab_au

Hope this helps.
BigB.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 9:50 pm 
Thanks for your reply.

I know that in my previous version is was installed in /home/mythtv/.shepherd, but from what I understand now it is accessible to all users, so should it still be located there?

In a previous posting, forum contributor Shepherd said the following
Quote:
Many people wound up with multiple Shepherds because in early versions you were required to install it as the same user your MythTV runs it as: if you guessed this wrong, you got Shepherds all over the place. Nowadays, you can install Shepherd as whichever user you like.

Did you do an upgrade to R5.5 with Shepherd previously installed?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 9:57 pm 
Hi,

I did an upgrade to R5.5 and shepherd was previously installed.

The Installation page says that you must run shepherd as the user that installed it. All that has changed is that shepherd offers an automated installation process that adds shepherd as a cron job under the user that installed it.

The reason behind the user issues is due to the auto updating mechanism of shepherd, so everything is now in the users home directory.

BigB.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 3:15 am 
Thanks BigB,

You where right all the files where still there in /home/mythtv/.shepherd. I deleted my old symlink and replaced it with a new one. I don't know if this was necessary because I also found that arguments were not there so I reinseted "--file 1 ~/.shepherd/output.xmltv" in Utilities/Setup->Setup->General->Mythfilldatabase. I assume I need to reinsert this entry for each upgrade.

And now it works. Thanks again

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 9:17 pm 
One more step is required. After I thought I had it running correctly I found that mythfilldatabase was running but not inserting anything into the program guide. If I ran mythfilldatabase manually it did not call shepherd to run and unless I had recently run shepherd manually nothing would be added to the program guide.

After a quick review of the Shepherd FAQ the symptoms indicated that I needed to run

~/.shepherd/shepherd --configure-mythtv

It then asks whether can it add a cron job and then do you want the link visible. After that mythfilldatabase will run and populate the program guide.

So for future reference, upgrade of a KM version requires the following steps to get Shepherd working again.

1. Run /.shepherd/shepherd --configure-mythtv
2. Check that "--file 1 ~/.shepherd/output.xmltv" is listed as an argument in Utilities/Setup->Setup->General->Mythfilldatabase. It is possible that "/.shepherd/shepherd --configure-mythtv" will do this automatically.