View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 2:59 pm 
I need to change my network around to a different scheme to resolve some other issues.

What do I need to do to change the IP address of my setup?

Is manually editing /etc/network/interfaces ok, or should I do netcardconfig

I probably should double-check myth-setup because I'm afraid it has the old IP in it, not just the loopback

Is there anything else I need to check, I seem to remember problems before with mysql, are there ACL's I need to worry about there?

I want to minimize downtime, as I have a small child who does not like it if her favorite show isn't there to watch....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 3:02 pm 
Site Admin
Code:
netcardconfig
The IP in mythtv-setup.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 5:59 pm 
One thing that I did have to change was regarding sql
Code:
/etc/mysql/my.cnf
bind-address 192.168.254.1

Before I changed that I was getting "cannot login to database" errors when I tried to run myth setup. Once I changed that, I was able to run mythsetup successfully. Everything is working now, crisis averted.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 3:37 pm 
I'm not really sure what release version the above applied to, however, that being said I am trying to configure R6 and the netcardconfig does not work as root user. Am I doing something wrong or is this command no longer available. Any constructive guidance is appreciated. Thank you.

P.S. I am also trying to configure other NIC items such as the DNS, netmask and gateway.

Last edited by gatorback on Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 3:53 pm 
gatorback wrote:
I'm not really sure what release version the above applied to, however, that being said I am trying to configure R6 and the netcardconfig does not work as root user. Am I doing something wrong or is this command no longer available. Any constructive guidance is appreciated. Thank you.

P.S. I am also trying to configure other NIC items such as the DNS, netmask and gateway.

R6 uses etcnet for it's network. Try looking at the files under /etc/net/ifaces/eth?/. When done, you can restart your networking with:
Code:
$ sudo /etc/net/scripts/network.init restart
or reboot.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 6:16 pm 
I was able to change the NIC info. Thanks. What does the /24 after the ipaddress do?

[user@myth eth0]$ cat ipv4address
192.168.1.222/24

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 6:51 pm 
gatorback wrote:
I was able to change the NIC info. Thanks. What does the /24 after the ipaddress do?

I'm not an expert, so I could be wrong, but it's short hand for your subnet mask. See here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 12:11 pm 
I did this long ago in R5 and found that the original backend ip address and / or hostname is stored in the database.

As I recall, new recordings worked fine, but front ends would not work right with old recordings.

I searched the mysql databases and found the old ipaddresses and hostnames? I finally did some mysql hacking to change all the old names and addresses into the new ones and it all worked after that.

I suspect/hope that some of this has been changed in newer versions of MythTV.

I recall also that all the frontend preferences are stored on the backend. If you are re-iping your frontends too you will probably find that your frontend setups are gone.

Cliff