View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 10:44 am 
Ok a little history I did an update to R6 which went horribly wrong (my fault the backup was corrupt) so i installed a fresh to a new 750gb sata, and coppied over my old /myth/video ,gallery and music files etc I copied my old myth/tv to video/tv and copied the myth/pre (pretty) files in there too so i knew which recording was which.

I went onto my R6 box today to fint the /myth/downloads directory was missing (this is where torrentflux keeps its downloads). I thought nothing of it I had been using the filemanager (webmin) to copy files from this directory and i thought I may have deleted them accidentally.

Anyhow I then noticed the /myth/music directory was missing then I went into the /myth/video directory and 70% of the files in there were missing too.

I tried to do a fsck but coudnt seem to get it to work from the cd boot
so I kept rebooting knowing it would eventualy force a check after 20 boots.

After that i looked again and still no joy the files haddnt come back.

I went back to webmin and found i could unmount the drive

so i did and in an x window su to root and ran fsck again it says the drive is fine but it cant be where have all my files gone ??

I have lost about 50-100gb of files and all the symbolic links to my old tv recodings i imported from old hard drives pretty directory

I had deleted most of the recodings off my old box so I have lost them Argh. !!!!

Luckelly enough all the wedding photos that were in the gallery are still there together with every other photo ive taken in the past few years.

Is there any way i can find out what happend I assume these files were orphaned when it did the reboot and fsck but its not verbose so I cant be sure.

A lot but not all the data was on the old drive so i have remounted it as /myth/old and symlinked the files this time that old 500gb ide has been fine for years.

Is there anyway to automate a backup at 4am to copy the myth/video and myth/tv directories to my old drive cron has disapeard from webmin

a simple cp command would do with some sort of switch for only files that have been modified. ??

Asus P5GS
Samsung 750G Sata HDD
8400 512m Video Card
2 * jetway DVB-t
1 * Haupage DVB-S2 Card
Samsung Sata 16x DVDRW
2048M Ram
1 * Netop Ion 330

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 7:08 pm 
So all of your photos are accounted for, but your music and videos are missing from the new drive? Did you create additional mount points to /myth/video and/or /myth/music and then lose them during a reboot (or vice-versa, you now have some other filesystems mounted to those directories and can no longer see the original contents)? What is the contents of your /etc/fstab file, and what does mount return?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 7:47 am 
Quote:
So all of your photos are accounted for, but your music and videos are missing from the new drive? Did you create additional mount points to /myth/video and/or /myth/music and then lose them during a reboot (or vice-versa, you now have some other filesystems mounted to those directories and can no longer see the original contents)? What is the contents of your /etc/fstab file, and what does mount return?

Yes all of the photos are accounted for (I think i neen to look in the directories there are about 20 of them) the music folder was copied over as was the photos the videos and the tv stuff about 300 gb in total. They were there I listened to some of the music and watched some of the programs. but then they just dissapeared. leaving me just 200gb. The old drive was mounted as /myth/old and is fine but i deleted all the videos on the old drive so i have no backup.

the only diference i can remember is that some files were copied using a windows share and some via the console and some using webmin. but I cant remember which i did with which method, but they were all definiely there cause I check in music player/ video etc, and when i went into video manager it came up with the mesage saying this file is unavailable etc etc etc .

Asus P5GS
Samsung 750G Sata HDD
8400 512m Video Card
2 * jetway DVB-t
1 * Haupage DVB-S2 Card
Samsung Sata 16x DVDRW
2048M Ram
1 * Netop Ion 330

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 7:37 pm 
Site Admin
If you want to backup /myth/foo onto another drive, then you probably want to use something like rsync or another tool which will only backup the new stuff. Google is your friend.