View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 4:31 pm 
Is it a bad idea to enable the Arch repos as the same time as the LinHES repos? Should I:

a) Avoid this all together

b) Comment out the LinHES repos and uncomment the Arch repos, do my installs, then put it back to the LinHES repos

c) It doesn't matter, add the Arch repos and the LinHES repos at the same time, pacman -Syu is smart enough to handle it

d) Other, you comment

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 6:04 pm 
Both A and D. You're playing with fire as items in the arch repos may overwrite packages customized for LinHES. As I was told in IRC by a dev... "You're gonna break stuff." So be VERY careful. See also

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 7:16 pm 
Site Admin
Simply put. Don't do it. When all is said and done LinHES will be LinHES. We have our own repos and while the PKGBUILDs are derived from Arch, we make modifications for LinHES that make sense to us (in regard to having the system function as an appliance). If you add Arch repos one day when you go to pacman -Syu something will die and you will be on your own.

Last edited by cecil on Sat Mar 07, 2009 7:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 7:23 pm 
Site Admin
If there is something you want to see in LinHES then, open a ticket. Be advised. LinHES is meant to be used as an appliance. I and a short list of people have the final say on what is included in our repos. Any feature request not directed related to improve LinHES's functionality as a media entertainment appliance should be opened with a low priority. You should further note that just because you open a request that doesn't mean what you requested will ever be worked on. Compiling packages can take time. Keeping packages can take far more time...

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]