View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 1:33 pm 
I had an xorg.conf file that I perfected in R5.5 where I had a 1080i modeline going out of my DVI port to my TV.

In R6, the best I can get with the built-in gui based Display settings is 720p through the VGA port. This leaves me with a black border around everything.

I've tried changing the settings in the GUI to output through my DVI port, but nothing is working. I've also tried using my old xorg.conf file, but it doesn't work either.

I just wish there was some way apply the same settings that I had in R5.5, because it worked perfectly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 2:50 pm 
They're basically incompatible due to various system changes. Different kernel, different module locations, different keyboard and mouse configs, ... Even mode lines that worked reliably before seem to get scrapped. This is an ongoing debugging issue with at least a half dozen Flyspray tickets open.

BTW - For everyone who has ever wondered why Cecil and most of the community didn't chase the bleeding Nvidia drivers, this type of thing is a big part of it. There's at least as much chance of a new driver breaking things that were working as adding anything worthwhile.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 7:24 pm 
I used the stock one and added my custom options from 5.5. Like TVOUT, SVIDEO, PALB, a few others.

nVidia 7300GT - DVICO PCI Remote - R6
Wifey loves it more than me.
--

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 7:34 pm 
Site Admin
You cannot directly use your R5.5 xorg.conf with R6. You can merge the two by hand. What you want from R5.5's is Monitor and Device section. Take out the Monitor and Device section from your R6 version and add the R5.5 (or any version prior to R5.5) ones.