| time_zone_name            |
| time_zone_transition      |
| time_zone_transition_type |
| user                      |
+---------------------------+
17 rows in set (0.00 sec)

Code:
mysql> describe user;
+-----------------------+-----------------------------------+------+-----+---------+-------+
| Field                 | Type                              | Null | Key | Default | Extra |
+-----------------------+-----------------------------------+------+-----+---------+-------+
| Host                  | char(60)                          | NO   | PRI |         |       |
| User                  | char(16)                          | NO   | PRI |         |       |
| Password              | char(41)                          | NO   |     |         |       |
| Select_priv           | enum('N','Y')                     | NO   |     | N       |       |
| Insert_priv           | enum('N','Y')                     | NO   |     | N       |       |
| Update_priv           | enum('N','Y')                     | NO   |     | N       |       |
| Delete_priv           | enum('N','Y')                     | NO   |     | N       |       |
| Create_priv           | enum('N','Y')                     | NO   |     | N       |       |
| Drop_priv             | enum('N','Y')                     | NO   |     | N       |       |
| Reload_priv           | enum('N','Y')                     | NO   |     | N       |       |
| Shutdown_priv         | enum('N','Y')                     | NO   |     | N       |       |
| Process_priv          | enum('N','Y')                     | NO   |     | N       |       |
| File_priv             | enum('N','Y')                     | NO   |     | N       |       |
| Grant_priv            | enum('N','Y')                     | NO   |     | N       |       |
| References_priv       | enum('N','Y')                     | NO   |     | N       |       |
| Index_priv            | enum('N','Y')                     | NO   |     | N       |       |
| Alter_priv            | enum('N','Y')                     | NO   |     | N       |       |
| Show_db_priv          | enum('N','Y')                     | NO   |     | N       |       |
| Super_priv            | enum('N','Y')                     | NO   |     | N       |       |
| Create_tmp_table_priv | enum('N','Y')                     | NO   |     | N       |       |
| Lock_tables_priv      | enum('N','Y')                     | NO   |     | N       |       |
| Execute_priv          | enum('N','Y')                     | NO   |     | N       |       |
| Repl_slave_priv       | enum('N','Y')                     | NO   |     | N       |       |
| Repl_client_priv      | enum('N','Y')                     | NO   |     | N       |       |
| Create_view_priv      | enum('N','Y')                     | NO   |     | N       |       |
| Show_view_priv        | enum('N','Y')                     | NO   |     | N       |       |
| Create_routine_priv   | enum('N','Y')                     | NO   |     | N       |       |
| Alter_routine_priv    | enum('N','Y')                     | NO   |     | N       |       |
| Create_user_priv      | enum('N','Y')                     | NO   |     | N       |       |
| ssl_type              | enum('','ANY','X509','SPECIFIED') | NO   |     |         |       |
| ssl_cipher            | blob                              | NO   |     |         |       |
| x509_issuer           | blob                              | NO   |     |         |       |
| x509_subject          | blob                              | NO   |     |         |       |
| max_questions         | int(11) unsigned                  | NO   |     | 0       |       |
| max_updates           | int(11) unsigned                  | NO   |     | 0       |       |
| max_connections       | int(11) unsigned                  | NO   |     | 0       |       |
| max_user_connections  | int(11) unsigned                  | NO   |     | 0       |       |
37 rows in set (0.00 sec)

So what does this all mean??

On another note, my User Jobs are not running anymore either... :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 9:39 pm 
pmljr - use the command line scanman717 gives which skips grants.

scanman717 - do a "select * from mysql.user" and verify that you have 4 rows there as described.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 7:53 am 
tjc, when I do the command you posted I just go to a:

->

Prompt.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 7:18 pm 
I ran
Code:
mysqld_safe --skip-grant-tables &

and got the following output:
[1] 26766
root@pisces:~# Starting mysqld daemon with databases from /var/lib/mysql
mysqld_safe[26803]: started
STOPPING server from pid file /var/run/mysqld/mysqld.pid
mysqld_safe[26812]: ended

[1]+ Done mysqld_safe --skip-grant-tables

Then I try to start the backend like this
Code:
/etc/init.d/mythtv-backend start

and get this output:
Starting MythTV server: mythbackend/usr/bin/mythbackend: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib/libmythlivemedia-0.21.so.0: undefined symbol: _ZN20H263plusVideoRTPSi~kD0Ev

Whenever I try to use mysql such as
Code:
mysql>show tables
I get this error:
ERROR 2002 (HY000): Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock' (2)

What log can I look in to see what the heck is happening?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:28 pm 
scanman717 wrote:

->

Prompt.

That sounds like the smoking gun! I don't know what else got roached but at the very least you lost your user table. You may be able recover by making a mythconverg backup, reinstalling mysql from the debian package, rerunning the mythtv DB setup script, and finally restoring mythconverg from the backup.

Honestly unless you have a lot of customizations it might be simpler to do a backup and auto-upgrade back to the same version. With a bit of planning It only takes about 30 minutes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:32 pm 
pmljr wrote:
Then I try to start the backend like this
Code:
/etc/init.d/mythtv-backend start

and get this output:
Starting MythTV server: mythbackend/usr/bin/mythbackend: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib/libmythlivemedia-0.21.so.0: undefined symbol: _ZN20H263plusVideoRTPSi~kD0Ev

Whenever I try to use mysql such as
Code:
mysql>show tables
I get this error:
ERROR 2002 (HY000): Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock' (2)

It sounds like you may have a generalized disk corruption problem. If you can't make a db backup you may be out of luck. You definitely are going to want to go the backup and auto-upgrade path, but try verifying the drive first. It may be baked.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 6:43 am 
tjc wrote:
scanman717 wrote:

->

Prompt.

That sounds like the smoking gun! I don't know what else got roached but at the very least you lost your user table. You may be able recover by making a mythconverg backup, reinstalling mysql from the debian package, rerunning the mythtv DB setup script, and finally restoring mythconverg from the backup.

Honestly unless you have a lot of customizations it might be simpler to do a backup and auto-upgrade back to the same version. With a bit of planning It only takes about 30 minutes.

Can I recreate this table?? Sounds like it might be a simple table.. Unfortunately I do have a lot of customizations on this box... If I go to the trouble of the restore, I'm gonna go to a bigger disk and newer version...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 11:57 am 
tjc wrote:
It sounds like you may have a generalized disk corruption problem. If you can't make a db backup you may be out of luck. You definitely are going to want to go the backup and auto-upgrade path, but try verifying the drive first. It may be baked.

Its funny because most of the functionality is still there: I can SSH into the box, I can watch tv (from another PC on the network using a media player), and I can run other daemons, but the frontend (and I guess the backend) and MySQL won't start.

Anyway, I am new to Linux, doing the total immersion thing by building an Ubuntu server in the basement and Knoppmyth box upstairs at the same time, but I have only about 2 months of Linux under my belt and reading books as fast as I can. So I need just a little more help.

I can figure out how to verify the drive on my own, but how do I do the auto-upgrade thing?

And thanks for the time...

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 5:27 pm 
OK, I should have researched this first before I asked. I see how to do both backup and auto-upgrade. For anyone else reading this, the backup procedure can be found here
http://www.knoppmythwiki.org/index.php?page=MythBackupAndRestoreHowTo

and the upgrade info here
http://www.knoppmythwiki.org/index.php?page=UpgradeHowTo

Thanks for the help and I will post my results shortly

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 8:59 pm 
Performed backup using mythbackup. Got some complaints about DB problems. No surprise.

Performed auto-upgrade. Things looking good. Reboot after auto-upgrade...and bingo, fsck hangs at 5.5%. Reboot again, fsck hangs at 4.6%. Repeat auto-upgrade again, now reboot, fsck hangs at 5.6%. But no error messages. It looks hung and I reboot within a few minutes of no disk drive activity. Should I wait longer?

I did not verify the drive beforehand, but I'm wondering why fsck doesn't simply find the errors instead of hanging.

Post subject: pmljr problem solved
PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 8:10 pm 
I finally checked the disk drive by booting to a Gparted Live CD and could find no bad blocks. In the end there appeared to be a file or broken config issue on /myth that was being reinstalled during auto-upgrade (auto-upgrade retores settings from backup).

I reinstalled Knoppmyth using auto-install and it is back up and running perfectly.

Thanks again for everyone's help. I really appreciate the time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 10:44 pm 
pmljr wrote:
I can figure out how to verify the drive on my own, but how do I do the auto-upgrade thing?.

The R5.5 Hints linked from my signature contain very detailed and current directions. In general, the Hints corresponding to a given release tend to be a better choice than the wiki procedures which may be out of date.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 5:17 am 
scanman717 wrote:
tjc wrote:
scanman717 wrote:

->

Prompt.

Can I recreate this table?? Sounds like it might be a simple table.. Unfortunately I do have a lot of customizations on this box... If I go to the trouble of the restore, I'm gonna go to a bigger disk and newer version...

I just had the exact same issue as Scanman. In my case I lost contact with the backend last night. Don't remember how I came to that conclusion, but I ended up checking the database and it was chock full of errors. Repaired it seemingly OK and fired up. Still no go. The disk was full. The mythbackend.log was enormous. I just deleted it without checking its contents, since I figured it would just be full of db connect errors. Still no go and I realized I was in Scanman's situation. Don't know what caused it. No power surges or anything I could connect with this happening.

Luckily, I have this script which I copied from one of you precious fellows on this forum. I wish I could remember who! It dumps the mysql database nightly and has saved my day (and a few other precious things on my body) before:
Code:
root@Fido:/etc/cron.daily# cat backupmysql.sh
#!/bin/sh
#Dumps the mythconverg database - daily backup
#Keeps the last 7 days
DAY=($(/bin/date +%u))
DUMPFILE="mythbe_$DAY.sql"
nice -n 19 /usr/bin/mysqldump -u mythtv -pmythtv mythconverg -c > /myth/backup/$DUMPFILE
cp /myth/backup/$DUMPFILE /mnt/NAPOLEON/backup/Ludde
exit 0

It also copies the dumpfile to another system in another place. You just can't be too careful, can you? Just in case mr Fumblebutt (yours truly...) would accidentally edit a partition table or something. This script has the advantage of executing fron crontab whether I remember to backup or not:
Code:
57 4 * * *   root   /etc/cron.daily/backupmysql.sh >>/var/log/mythtv/backupmysql.log 2>&1

Incidentally, although the system sat inoperable during the rest of the night, the dump script executed and I now have these files in the backup directory:
    root@Fido:/myth/backup# ls -l
    total 283460
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 307 Jan 1 13:46 backup.list
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 977 Jan 31 2008 crontab
    drwxr-xr-x 4 root root 4096 Oct 26 2008 etc
    drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 Apr 26 2008 gammalt
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 759 Jan 25 04:57 mythbe_1.sql
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 759 Jan 26 04:57 mythbe_2.sql
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 759 Jan 27 04:57 mythbe_3.sql
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 759 Jan 28 04:57 mythbe_4.sql
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 759 Jan 29 04:57 mythbe_5.sql
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 240469147 Jan 30 04:57 mythbe_6.sql
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 759 Jan 24 04:57 mythbe_7.sql
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 759 Jan 30 11:15 mythconverg.sql
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 307 Oct 26 2008 restore.list
    drwxr-xr-x 3 root root 4096 Oct 26 2008 root
    -rw------- 1 root root 49431213 Jan 8 13:18 savedfiles.tar.gz
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 582 Aug 28 2006 sysstat
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 469 Aug 28 2006 sysstatdaily
Note that the one run at 4:57 this morning suddenly is humongous. My cure for the situation was to copy the previous backup to mythconverg.sql:
Code:
cp mythbe_5.sql mythconverg.sql

and run:
Code:
mysql -f -u mythtv -pmythtv mythconverg < mythconverg.sql

Now all I have to do is to salvage all the recordings made in the past 30 hours or so. I know the instructions are here somewhere. :D

Cheers,
/Chris

FE2: Gigabyte GA-MA69GM-S2H, AthlonX2 4850E 2.5 GHz, 1GB, ASUS GEFORCE 7200GS 256MB
FE3: Asus Eeebox410

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 5:51 am 
Ah, here it is:
Quote:
myth.rebuilddatabase.pl

Wow - was that cool! It even matches the recording times with the guide data to create a fully valid recording! It found me a couple of old lost recordings as well.

Thanks!
/Chris

FE2: Gigabyte GA-MA69GM-S2H, AthlonX2 4850E 2.5 GHz, 1GB, ASUS GEFORCE 7200GS 256MB
FE3: Asus Eeebox410

Go to page Previous  1, 2