View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
 Post subject: Odd Channel Out
PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 5:36 pm 
I'm currently using R6, but I've got one channel (Channel 2 WBBM - Chicago) that won't play back. It runs with a black screen for about 5 minutes and then comes back to the after-play screen. It will play on live TV and in the thumbnail box. It will also transcode (but the transcoded recordings are very choppy - topping out my cpu)

Can anyone offer an explanation as to why one channel won't play or as to why transcoded shows require more cpu than untranscoded?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 11:47 pm 
Well with such scant details this is a shot in the dark, but possibly Because you're using XvMC and transcoding MPEG2 (which there is XvMC hardware acceleration for) to MPEG4 (which there is no XvMC hardware acceleration for).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 12:07 pm 
Thanks for the insight on the transcoding. That explains why it gets choppy after I transcode. Is there another format for trancoding that would be more cpu/XvMC friendly?

Of course the bigger mystery to me is why one channel won't play back when the others all work fine and the data is all there. The mythfrontend.log shows an AFD error: unknown decoding error. Other than that I'm at a loss even as to where to look for clues.