View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 11:09 pm 
Hi,

When I built my experimental LinHES box, I used the onboard video to see what it would do. Wanting to continue forward, I installed a nVidia 7400 card but the hardware detection hasn't advanced to KM levels yet so the xserver doesn't run.

Is there a script that can be run to rescan the hardware to rebuild the xorg.conf and load the nVidia driver?

Not a big issue to reinstall but I'm lazy :)

Thanks
Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 4:17 am 
I might be wrong on this one, but have you tried getting the nvidia drivers via pacman? Do you know which driver it's currently using? You may have to remove it.

Here are the available packages in core-testing. Looks like you have several options for packages/nvidia versions:
nvidia-71xx (v71.86.09)
nvidia-96xx (v96.43.09)
nvidia (v180.51)

I'm pretty sure the 7400 series uses the latest (v18x) drivers so:

Code:
# pacman -Sy nvidia

According to the PKGBUILD for that package, it depends on nvidia-utils so you don't need to add it to the pacman line.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:47 am 
There is/was a script but I'll have to hunt down the name (work has kept me a bit out of the loop). Try xconfig.sh I seem to remember there was some short circuiting behavior if it was already configured, but the details have escaped me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 4:56 pm 
Hi graysky,

I didn't see any thing that looked like what tjc was describing but sometimes it is like looking for a needle in the haystack too. Thanks for the ideas anyway!

Tried the pacman trick but it still didn't pick it up. I went ahead and did the install as it had been a path of several upgrades previous, so figured for a start fresh. It picked the nvidia card up and works fine.

I previously had low audio but starting fresh with .08 seems to have cleared most of that up also. At least for tv but have to play some more to be sure on the music and videos. :)

Moral of the story at this time is what ever hardware it is built on is what you have to stay with. I am sure that will only be a small bump in the road.

Thanks for the help. :)
Mike