View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 1:42 pm 
On Wednesday night 7-8-09, there was an increase in network activity on my main R5.5 KM box.

By coincidence, that was the same night I was loading up R5.5 on a test computer in another part of the house (different IP address, but connected to the same network). I don't think putting a 2nd R5.5 box on the same network would cause this, but just in case, I'm noting it.

Note the graph of network activity.

You can see that an increased amount of traffic started on Wednesday night. I have tried to narrow down the nature of the traffic:

Thus far, I have:
1. rebooted the KM machine to see if the network traffic would go back down - it did not. (time noted in picture)
2. I turned off the Internet modem to stop all traffic between my in-house network and the Internet. (time noted in picture)
3. After turning the Internet modem back on, and seeing no decrease in network activity, I turned off the port forwarding in my Internet router, so the KM box cannot be accessed from outside my in-house network - no change in network activity.
4. looked in the /var/log/auth.log for evidence that I am getting attacked via SSH logins - no evidence of external SSH attacks

From the evidence thus, far, I believe that the KM box is generating the increase in network traffic, rather than responding to any external attacks or external access.

How can I tell what program or service is causing the network activity?

KnoppMyth R5.5, Asus A8N-VM CSM (nvidia 6150 onboard video), AMD Athlon 64 dual-core 4200+, two 1GB sticks DDR 400, HD-3000 HDTV card, PVR-150 card, Iguanaworks RS-232 IR receiver/transmitter, Pioneer DVR-110 DVD burner

Last edited by neutron68 on Mon Jul 13, 2009 4:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 2:49 pm 
I think I just solved it. I went into the Mythweather settings and UNchecked the box that says "Retrieve Data In The Background". The network activity went back down to normal.

On Wednesday night, I had checked that box to see if it made weather data load quicker. Apparently it goes out and gathers weather data 24/7 if you have the box checked!

Good to know...

(Revised to fix spelling error)

KnoppMyth R5.5, Asus A8N-VM CSM (nvidia 6150 onboard video), AMD Athlon 64 dual-core 4200+, two 1GB sticks DDR 400, HD-3000 HDTV card, PVR-150 card, Iguanaworks RS-232 IR receiver/transmitter, Pioneer DVR-110 DVD burner

Last edited by neutron68 on Sat Jul 11, 2009 10:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 7:16 pm 
A quick command for anyone else in a similar situation of heavy network traffic:

Open a command shell and issue:
Code:
netstat
This shows you all of the inbound and outbound network connections.

Also use:
Code:
netstat -l
to see what ports your system is LISTENING to to see if there's anything to respond to. You should see the basic ports for SSH and HTTP, along with the MythTv ports.