View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
 Post subject: Probably a dumb question
PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 2:00 am 
Is it worth updating my R6 install to current latest packages via pacman? I am running "the gift" version and the only modification I've made since upgrading to this version is fix mythwelcome.

I see there are a number of outstanding issues on flyspray, and I'm frightened I might break something (and I haven't really got the time to fix stuff atm).

Ta.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 1:11 pm 
I would say if you don't have the time to fix stuff at the moment then don't upgrade.

I don't know of specific changes but one needs to remember that using R6 probably means that one might have to tinker with it after updates. I have been playing with it the last week or so and I must say it is very good - but then again I don't mind tinkering. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 3:34 pm 
I've been running R6 on my frontend for a while now and haven't run into anything major after upgrading...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 5:57 pm 
Things i have come across doing intra-R6 upgrades via pacman

1) Mods made in lircd get blown away, not a problem once you know that it has happened
2) Recent upgrades have made my 3 PCI dvb-t tuner cards glitch (audio pop, pixellated video). I bought a hdhomerun, and all is well
3) Cant upgrade mythtv via pacman, as something is broken for hdhomerun in recent builds. pacman -U /data/something/something is your friend. You can get the previous cached version back of all packages. Would be good to have the original packages (R6 scale release) so you can go right back to the starting point.
4) Watch out for the "smurf" effect due to hue settings when you upgrade nvidia. Search the forums, the answer is in there.

Other than those (they may be just on my setup too), R6 is great!

Cheers,

Nathan

Cooling: Zalman cu?,
Display: Benq xx projector

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 8:01 pm 
I think the 'smurf' effect has been addressed and is no longer a problem. I just saw an update for hdhomerun today, but I am not running R6 on my backend so can't tell if this works.

My only problems are;
Apple trailers plugin is still broken even after today's update to it.
Firefox 3.5.1 crashes when you take it full screen, but reinstalling 3.0.9 works fine.

So, if you are happy with the way it is running now then don't update, but then R6 is still in testing so you will do everyone a favor by updating and filing bug reports.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 8:30 pm 
I ran into apple trailers being broken along the way and determined it was trying to run mplayer-wrapper. You can install it:

Code:
sudo pacman -S mplayer-wrapper

fixed it right up for me

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 12:49 am 
Thanks for the replies guys.

R6 is great. Definitely the best version of of KnoppMyth so far.

Nathan, I'm interested in the DVB problems you have been experiencing. Was it recording or live TV? What cards are / were you using?
I have two Nova-T cards (and just got a Nova-S which I'm installing later this week).

I may go with an update and see what happens, once I've plugged my new card in. The worst case scenario will be a reinstall/downgrade. I'll be taking suitable precautions and mading a backup before I begin.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 1:28 am 
I have 2xAvermedia A777 PCI DVB-T tuners, and 1xComproT300.

Sometime around June 09, I did a pacman update, and my livetv/recordings all get popping audio and intermittant video juttering.

I've been tring to figure out what was changed, dvb-firmware, mythtv, weather, reception...

I gave up, and bought a hdhomerun, and get 100% signal strength, and no audio/video problems.

I'm still no closer to knowing what happened to my PCI cards... they are still in the system, just on low priority overflow, incase there are multiple shows being recorded.. definately keen to get multirec going on the hdhomerun...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 3:38 am 
I think I'll take the gamble on the update, the hauppauge cards have been rock solid for years. Thanks for the additional info.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 6:17 pm 
best of luck!

on the hdhomerun comment by uteck, where did you see a hdhomerun update? was it a mythtv, LinHes, or silicondust update?

Nathan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 6:45 pm 
nmcaullay wrote:
best of luck!

on the hdhomerun comment by uteck, where did you see a hdhomerun update? was it a mythtv, LinHes, or silicondust update?

Nathan

It was hdhomerun-20090415-1-i686.pkg.tar.gz that pacman pulled in. I am only using the default settings, so it is a LinHes update.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 11:23 am 
Finally updated the other day. I ran into the Service menu issue, but then saw Cecil's post about a 6.00.09 and updated again. It's all looking good.

Thanks for the input.