View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 9:32 am 
I'm running R6 in my home now and I had a question on updating the system. I run 4 diskless clients with a master backend. Obviously updating the backend I simply do a
Code:
sudo pacman -Syu

But I was wondering the best way to update the clients. I can think of three scenarios:

1) Login to the clients and just do the same pacman command. I mean did the config_diskless_client.sh (or something similar to that name) script put all the "bits" in the /nfsroot/ to make this possible?

2) Delete the client and then recreate it with the config_diskless_client script after updating the backend. This seems to me would work but then I would have to make sure I redo my "customizations" like lircd.conf that I have made for each client.

3) Create some hack script that just does the copying that the config_diskless_client originaly did.

Of course choice #1 sounds best to me. Just wanted to ask first if I should expect it to just work.

Thanks in advance.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 9:09 am 
Well to answer my own question I just tried choice #1 and it appears to have worked fine. I updated on the backend first, then the clients after. It appears that the pacman "cache" is shared (nfs) because the packages were not downloaded again while updating the clients.

Nice! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 4:55 pm 
I wish I could get diskless clients working so I had to worry about updating them. :)

Craig

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 5:47 am 
What problems are you having? The script "/usr/local/bin/config_diskless_frontend.bash" just worked for me.