View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Go to page 1, 2  Next

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 4:24 am 
Been running R6 for a while now on my FE w/ no problems. Today, I powered-up the R6 box and noticed that it has no network configured. I can't ping anything from the box, and the result of ifconfig shows that eth0 doesn't have an IP address.

If I look in /etc/rc.conf the eth0 line is commented out and it doesn't appear in the interfaces statement; only lo does (i.e. INTERFACES=(lo) is the only line in there). Can someone let me know if this is normal? If it is normal, and LinHES doesn't use /etc/rc.conf for setting up the network, please let me know what files to check to see why it's broken.

I'd post the output of these commands, but I can't since the box has no network and it's physically located in a closet that is VERY hard to access :(

BTW, I can use WOL to start the machine, so I know the NIC is good. Can someone running R6 please post the contents of their /etc/rc.conf for comparison purposes? I found FS#482 but it doesn't apply to my case since I have no .pacsave files in the locate reported in that task.

Last edited by graysky on Sat Aug 15, 2009 10:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 8:58 am 
/etc/net/ifaces/eth0/ipv4addres just has your IP and the netmask info;
192.168.1.100/24
keep the /24 as I doubt you are not running a normal privet subnet, and just change the IP to what you were using.

/etc/net/ifaces/eth0/ipv4route has the gateway info; change it to use your gateway if it is different.
default via 192.168.1.1

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 9:05 am 
Can you post your /etc/rc.conf

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 2:40 pm 
Site Admin
graysky
Assuming the network configuration was done via the gui, run systemconfig.py -m network
That should correct and recreate and missing files.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 3:31 pm 
Hi james... tried it but no help. It works if I manually add the following to my /etc/rc.conf

eth1=("dhcp")
INTERFACES=(eth1)

AND I manually restart /etc/rc.d/network but this doesn't survive a reboot.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 3:37 pm 
Site Admin
If your using a standard linhes rc.conf shouldn't even come into play.
Did the systemconfig command create any files in /etc/net/ifaces/eth0 or eth1 ?
And if so is that information correct?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 4:11 pm 
I'm not sure what's going on, jams. I don't think it created anything new. I have another hdd in that machine and I have arch on it. Here is the /etc/rc.conf from arch that works if that makes any sense:

Code:
eth0="dhcp"
INTERFACES=(eth0)
gateway="default gw 192.168.0.1"
ROUTES=(!gateway)

I have an eth0 in my filesystem under LinHES. I will gladly post any files from there that would help you figure this out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 4:17 pm 
Site Admin
tar up /etc/net and email it to me

jams @ linhes . org

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 4:20 pm 
Site Admin
Wait a minute, do you have two interfaces on this board?
If so try try configuring eth1 along with eth0.
On early versions on linhes eth0 and eth1 will sometimes swap

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 6:48 pm 
Hi jams, it does have two but for the life of me, I can't get it working. I'm gonna do a clean install tomorrow morning and will report back.

Thanks as always for the help.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 3:35 pm 
UPDATE: my onboard eth0 on the MB is roached. It does respond to WOL magic packets, but it does NOT get an IP addy from the DHCP server, nor does it work if I use a static IP. This is true under several Linux distros (Arch, LinHES, and Ubuntu) and as well XP. I started the bug report thinking this was related to a LinHES update since I remember running pacman prior to this happening, but after multiple failures under different OS's, I'm convinced that this is totally unrelated to LinHES.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 9:33 pm 
For what it's worth, I also had this same problem on 16 Aug 2009 after updating using "pacman -Syu". After a reboot the network was not loading, so the frontend was unable to connect to the static IP address I had setup.

Modifying the Network settings in the LinHES configuration did not do anything - I suspect there have been some changes to how the settings are stored? At one point I got an error about being unable to create a /usr/MythVantage/templates/settings directory (or something close to that) which I chowned from owned by root to mythtv, but this didn't help at all.

I was eventually able to get the network up using "dhcpcd eth0" (or something - just type dhcp<TAB> and it finishes the command). This does not survive the reboot and I also need to use a static IP as my router does not allow static routing based on MAC.

I found the reply from graysky most helpful as I was able to get the network back using the "systemconfig.py -m network" command. All the files mentioned by uteck were present and all good, so I am not sure where the starting of the network was broken.

One good thing out of this is that I got a little more information on where the network settings are coming from - although I am still not sure how it is started up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 2:04 pm 
Glad to hear someone else found this useful.

@jams - is it possible to reconfigure the NICs under LinHES and if so how? For example, I will need to add a new NIC to this machine. The MB has two onboard NICs, one of which (primary) is not functional and the other one is only a 10/100 that I will disable in the BIOS (the primary one cannot be disabled). ANYWAY, I'll be adding a new GigaLAN NIC later this week... how can I re-run the config script to detect it? I'm assuming it'll be eth1 but who knows :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 2:59 pm 
Site Admin
Sure it's possible.
First make sure that /etc/systemconfig can be written to by the user mythtv. If it's not then none of the changes selected in the service menu will make it to disk.

Also only eth0,eth1,wlan0,wlan1,ath0 are valid nic names under the service menu. If the new card is named anything else it will need to be configured manually under /etc/net/ifaces/

If is named one of the above, then enter the service menu setup your nic accordingly and hit Finish. If the system takes more then 2 seconds to reconfigure then it worked, if it took less then revisit permissions on /etc/systemconfig.

To manually restart the network use /etc/net/scripts/network.init restart/start/stop

-james

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 9:01 pm 
Okay. I am having the same problem now? The eth0 was working.

I was adding a line to /etc/runit/1.local to start up a vncserver at boot time. After a reboot, my network went away..... *sigh* Of course, I reverted the 1.local to its original state. I tried all the remedies on this page. Still no luck.

Go to page 1, 2  Next